electronic problems

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

electronic problems

Post by Justin »

I drove my truck from new york to rhode island...3 hours......when i shut it off then tried to start it (after cleaning it and listening to music for 20 minutes without motor running), it wouldnt start... Just curious to ask what amperage is our alternator... I think my stereo is drawing alot of amperage (2 high powered amps and a sub) and i may need a new high powered alternator or a capacitor
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Our Alternator has a rated output 100a, Load test output 70a.

You may need to upgrade the battery first. Our stock battery is 525CCA , 90 minutes reserve. The Optional battery is 690CCA , 90 minutes reserve.

Today's vehicles are very electrically demanding and tax the alternator. The alternator is designed to maintain the system, not charge a dead battery. Doing so heats the alternator terribly and leads to premature failure. The second generation alternators (that we have) are better than the old Delco alternators but it still a good idea to treat them right.

You do have the right idea about an alternator upgrade too. If you are demanding too much more than the alternator was designed for, it would be a good idea to get the bigger alt. too.

I changed my battery to an Optima "red top". I've run them in the HenryJ and my old S-10, they seem to hold up the best of the batteries I've tried.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes i just changed my batt not too long ago cuz the battery went dead having just the key on for 20 minutes. sooo much better now
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]