Muffler Getting Louder/ Engine Noise

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Muffler Getting Louder/ Engine Noise

Post by Joseph »

When I start my truck the muffler has a deep tone when I rev it up a few times. Don't notice it when the truck is motion or its not doing it. Whats going on here?

I've been on some sites where a lot of S-10 owners of 4.3L motors have been talking about a clanking, or clinking or lifter going bad noise. I have that noise (I guess). Well, anyhow I don't like it very much. GM and the dealers has told most of the them just the way it is. Funny thing is, it's documented that GM knows that this noise is there. They are working on it. They keep telling S-10 owners who have complaint about this that it's just the way the motor is and nothing can be done about it. In the words of Doctor Evil "RIGHT". JH68
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya i know what you are talking about. i think. doesnt it go away by the time you get up 20mph or hit 3rd. i thought it was the fan?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

The clinking noise? Lets say I'm driving down a street and there's a car park off to the right. Roll down the right side windows. As you go by that car the clinking noise will bounce back to where you can hear it real good when your in the truck. Try it and see if you all are hearing the same noise. I REALLY don't care for that noise and would like if I can get rid of it. I wrote GM a e-mail about this will see what they say or I'll get another e-mail form letter again. That has nothing to do with what I wrote about. JH68
Jim

Post by Jim »

Do you guys think this noise could be the balance shaft noise?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

Joseph,

My wifes 2000 Blazer made a metallic clanking noise from the rear end which I first noticed while driving next to a wall. The sound bounced back and was very audible. After several trips to the dealer they found a bulletin about changing the rear end oil, in the locker rear ends, at the first oil change. This was done (at 10000 miles -oops!) and the noise went away. It was the locker plates making noise. Changing the oil eliminated the noise. The additive they sell for locker rear ends is not recomended by GM. This service requirement is covered in the owners manual but you really have to look for it. I did not see this requirement the first couple of times I read the manual. I changed the oil in my 2002 Crewcab's locker at 3000 miles with Mobil 1 Synthetic.

Hope this helps......
anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

Socaldave, The noise you describe is from a locking differencial rear? That's interesting. This crew is the first GM truck I owned with a locking differencial.

I have had the carrier bearing go bad, and a rear seal, but all in all, I have had four S-10 GMs, and never had any sizable problems.

I do have that funny loadness coming from the engine when you just start off with it. I've had that in all the GMs I had. I thought it was just a cold engine. I drive it slow until warmed up. I was the type of guy that believed you should let an engine idle until it was warmed, but know I'm told to start driving very slow, as the engine will warm up faster under a load, but keep the revs low.
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

Thanks for the info. I will have my service dept. check into this. This is covered under the warranty? JH68
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

Joseph,

Changing the differential fluid is not covered under warranty. It is a routine maintenance service procedure. You don't have to have it done at the dealer as you can find a private shop to do it cheaper. Use Mobil 1 Synthetic in the correct weight. See the owners manual for the correct weight gear oil.
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

I'll give my mechanic a call and set up appointment. Thanks. JH68