SES light "Code 300"

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Steven
Crew
Crew

SES light "Code 300"

Post by Steven »

Code 300 the dealer said, and it says "Missfire on all cylinders". The truck runs fine, and the flicker has only happened twice while climbing a long hill then went out.

Could it be the Octane, I'm running 92 or better?

Could it be Early detonation?

What about Bad plug wires or spark plugs?... I'm running MSD 6AL

Dealer claims they can't see anything wrong with the truck, but the aftermarket exhaust could cause it, (its been on the truck for 1-1/2 years) it could be the ignition causing the issue (MSD-6a box), it could even be the K&N Air intake??? They wouldn't go any further to diagnose the problem.

Has anyone had this same issue with similar mods done to their truck?

Thanks for any input
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

why would it be the exhaust. i would think the ingnition might have something to do with it.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

yes, thats what I thought too

I needs Henrys advice,.... I wonder if my CFM throttle blade is causing the issue... egr gas's... something like that?...
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i'd say electronic, why would it be the blade?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I'd say it's probably ignition related too. Check your spark plug boots to make sure they're not cracked or anything. I had that problem on may Camaro and it would misfire a lot. Other than that, not sure. :?:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

DTC 300

The CKP (crank sensor) and the CMP (cam sensor) are used to give information to the PCM (powertrain control module) in order to determine if a misfire is occuring variations are monitored (crank speed and cam position) The MIL (malfunction Indicator Lamp) will flash On and Off when conditions are present for catalytic converter damage.

Basically I am saying that you have had an event that caused a backfire, enough to trigger the 300 code.

First thing I would check is the distributor and CMP, If the dealer has had your Dist. cap off -DO NOT take it off yourself before you check to see if they cracked your housing! #1 is the cap on tight? Does it wiggle?

#2 Feel down below the front most cap retaining screw , the sides should feel rounded and smooth (no pieces missing)

If those things are OK, then go ahead and take the cap off (the wires are held in order by the mounting clips) check it for damage , ash build up on the contacts , clean or replace.

Be sure to read the "Plastic Distributor" post

The CMP is under the metal rotor mount. It is a "Hall effect type trigger". If you have compressed air available , blow it out good and look for any signs of damage.

If all that stuff is good, I'd lean toward the possibility of a bad plug wire (not as likely, but I have seen it)

The Backfires can be caused by over rich and overly lean conditions.The EGR gasses leaning out the front cylinders is a possibility, but I couldn't blame it on that.

I don't feel that the mods you have done would result in this problem , but as you well know when we have trouble finding an intermitent problem, blame it on anything you can think of. ;)
Last edited by HenryJ on Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

Henry!!! All that said...Is there any advice with my problem? Misfire #4? It happened again and its been to the dealer 3 times allready!!!! See the problem is that I go to 2 different dealers an they still cant correct it!!! Just yesterday the invoice said that there was carbon deposits on the #4 wire but the previous dealer allready replaced the wires.. Its like im back to square 1 all over again
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Justin wrote:Henry!!! All that said...Is there any advice with my problem? Misfire #4?
Have you checked your cap and rotor?

Did they change the offending spark plug?

Look inside the throttle body under the butterfly , does it need to be cleaned?

When was the last time you ran a tank of gas treated with injector cleaner?

The winter season can be tough on vehicles do to the extreme temperature changes and high humidity.

Just some places to look :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK