Brakes how many miles and what kind?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Brakes how many miles and what kind?

Post by snocat1 »

I have 61000 and the front brakes are sqeaking now. I had the rear one's just done last week because the axle seal were leaking. so those were done. Just any better brakes than stock brand?
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

That is sort of wild because the fronts are the ones that usually go first.

Am not really qualified to answer your question but with my tahoe that had rear drums that were malfunctioning, I went through front pads about every 6k miles
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Choose any brand, but stay with ceramic pads.
They are easier on the rotors than those "lifetime" pads, stop well, squeak less, less dust and last well.

Ours come stock with creamic.

I run the NAPA Ceramix pads on most of the fleet. They hold up better in extreme conditions (Dust, Hot and Abused). These kits usually come with all new hardware and lubricants.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

The dealer said that since the seals leaked it got on the rear brakes pads and the rotors
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
Jeff
Crew
Crew

Post by Jeff »

69000 on original brakes, looked at them last week, they still have plenty of life in them. Just changed the wifes breaks, warped rotor :x I put the wagner gold series on it. Ceramic compound. seem to stop nice, and dont seem to get as hot.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I barely got 50,000 out of my front pads and the rears went shortly after that. I also drive my truck more like a Corvette than a Crewcab pick-up, or in other words, I'm a bit hard on parts and tires!
TheBigFitz
Crew
Crew

Post by TheBigFitz »

93K on my fronts and still look OK. Rears were done in January by dealer when I had an axle seal leak.
[size=75]SOLD - 2" BL, BFGR 31x10.50 on American Racing Outlaw II Rims (15x7, 6" BS), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 1" Torsion Bar Adjustment, Rear add-a-leaf, Westin nerf bars & tail light guards, Genuine Steel grill guard, Tinted Windows, K&N Filter - SOLD

New Ride: 2006 Chevy Silverado SS[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Do the CC's have better brakes than our 2wd cousins? I don't consider myself a hard driver at all, but I went through a set of pads every 26-30K miles on my 00 Sonoma X-Cab. It takes alot less pedal travel to brake with my CC, and it seems to stop quicker too.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Jeff
Crew
Crew

Post by Jeff »

My back seals are leaking a little bit right now, I wonder how hard they are to change?
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

All this talk about leaking rear seals is making me worry. Hmmm, maybe I need to do a little inspection work this weekend.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

wamason wrote:Do the CC's have better brakes than our 2wd cousins? I don't consider myself a hard driver at all, but I went through a set of pads every 26-30K miles on my 00 Sonoma X-Cab. It takes alot less pedal travel to brake with my CC, and it seems to stop quicker too.
Not sure about the 2wd versions but we have 4 wheel discs. I doubt the 2wds have them.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

finally changed my Brakes front and rear at 93000 miles on stock brakes and I would say they had atleast 30-40000 miles left on them I couldnt believe it ,took about 2 hours to do all 4 wheels in my driveway.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

My CC is starting to shake a little bit when I hit the brakes. It doesn't bother me, but I guess it's time to get them checked. I only have 52K miles on my truck.
--Walt
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

stops on a dime now just like when new only problem when doing them is the top bolt is tight to get a short socket on ,the rears take about 15mins each side thats even with takin the wheel off
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Anyone know how difficult it is to replace the pads/shoes in the emergency brake? Mine doesn't work at all. It worked ok when I got the truck, especially to keep it from rolling forward, but has never worked well to keep it from rolling in reverse. And now it wont work at all.
--Walt
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

have you tried having it adjusted?
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I am having the same problem with my emergency brake. The top of my driveway is on a slight slope and when I put it in park and hit the emergency brake and take my foot off the regular brake it always rolls back a little bit. If I am parked somewhere and have the emergency brake on and go to pull forward it won't budge. It didn't do this when it was new. I just noticed it doing this in the last several months.

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

How many clicks do you get when you engage the e-brake. if it is more than 4-6 your break cable may need adjusting as they do stretch a little over time. I just had mine adjusted at 14k I was using them every day to hold me nose down a fairly steep slope and the pedal was going past 6 clicks and not holding well, the truck would roll about a foot until the trans stopped the truck ( very bad for the parking pawl).
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have 68k on my oem brake pads and there is about 1/8" of pad left before the wear indicators on the front rotors make contact. Rear brakes are at 50-60%. :)

Steve
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

mine didnt have wear indicators on them unless thats what the little metal clips were that had to be reused on the new pads.I did replace them with creamic pads at 98 bucks for front and rear.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

yup that's what those clips are. when the pads wear down far enough so they contact the rotor they start to chirp. If you ignore the chip it becomes a heavy metallic squeal and normally means that now not only do you need pads but also rotor turning/replacement.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

then its a good thing I reused those clips ,thats the 1st time I have ever seen them like that usually there connected to the pads.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Since we are guys and instruction manuals are for wimps I only figured this out when I had my old blazer in for repair and they told me they had installed a replacement set because they were missing on the new pads I installed. :oops:
They are there strictly to make sure you do not burn the pads down to the rivets and ruin the rotor, why they don't just build them in is beyond me.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I almost didnt reuse them but it gave the pads a tighter fit
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re:

Post by riceburnr2005 »

04crewvt wrote:How many clicks do you get when you engage the e-brake. if it is more than 4-6 your break cable may need adjusting as they do stretch a little over time. I just had mine adjusted at 14k I was using them every day to hold me nose down a fairly steep slope and the pedal was going past 6 clicks and not holding well, the truck would roll about a foot until the trans stopped the truck ( very bad for the parking pawl).

Umm mine doesnt make any clicks at all when i push my e brake..is this bad??
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Re:

Post by HenryJ »

riceburnr2005 wrote:Umm mine doesnt make any clicks at all when i push my e brake..is this bad??
:lol: I don't remember mine "clicking" either ;)
Does it hold the truck? Mine did.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Brakes how many miles and what kind?

Post by riceburnr2005 »

nope, doesn't hold..thats why i was reading these parking brake threads...going to look at mine tomorrow.
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The s-series manuals don't do the best job of explaining it. The shoe needs to be adjusted first.
Check out this thread: Emergency brake adjustment

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Mine doesn't click either. Nor does it hold very well.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page