Oil lines to oil filter assembly leaking.

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Patrick

Oil lines to oil filter assembly leaking.

Post by Patrick »

My oil lines from radiator to oil filter just started leaking. Is this a known problem with 2001. I recently changed to synthetic oil. Truck has 18,000 mls. Just want to know if the oil is causing them to leak or is it a problem with the lines. Thanks.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes, mine did too from the dealer. just take it in to the dealer and they will fix it
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yes, it is a known problem.

The story as told to me , by a GM parts guy I trust :

The original supplier of the oil lines failed to calibrate the pressure settings on the crimper and they were over crimped.

Since that time they have changed suppliers.

The old style lines (prone to leak) had two rings of indentations which required more hydraulic pressure on the crimp to hold the hose, which resulted in crushing the hose if things were not just right.

The "New and improved" lines have three rings of indents, which require less pressure on the crimp and less risk of crushing the hose.

Watch the set that hasn't been replaced yet, if they don't replace both sets at the same time.

Look for even a little seapage near the crimped hose and have them replaced with the new style if you see a leak.

P.S. they really make a mess too, but don't let an overzealous tech steam clean all the frame coatings off to clean it up!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

nice info brule. i think i need to make a page for that too!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, good info. Mine are leaking again, but it's from the washer seals. I did have it stopped for about 14k miles, now at 33k, it's leaking again. Maybe if I used 2 washer seals per line? Oh well. Maybe I can take it to a dealer that will cover it.

The dealer didn't fix it the first time, so I did, but now leaking again.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I looked yesterday, and all mine already have the 3 crimps. I've never had problems with the crimps, only where the line block thing screws onto the adaptor, where there is one bolt and 2 washer seals. Seams it never wants to seal correctly. I'll have to find a thinker washer or maybe double up to take up warpage. That's all I can figure is that it's warped.

:roll:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]