Stupid question about 4WD

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

wr70beh

Stupid question about 4WD

Post by wr70beh »

I bought my CC about a month ago and since we've had some good snowfall here, I clicked it over to 4WD...since I have, I've notice a hydraulic fluid smell...kinda like a burning smell since I've clicked over. Is that normal? I would suspect it is, since it's the first time over in 4WD, but I was just checking...
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

Mine to but, I've had mine over a year now. I haven't really thought about it much lately or haven't notice it one or the other. JH68
Jim

Re: Stupid question about 4WD

Post by Jim »

wr70beh wrote:I bought my CC about a month ago and since we've had some good snowfall here, I clicked it over to 4WD...since I have, I've notice a hydraulic fluid smell...kinda like a burning smell since I've clicked over. Is that normal? I would suspect it is, since it's the first time over in 4WD, but I was just checking...

I noticed a smell like that in the summer (not 4wd related). It seems the coating on the frame near the exhaust manifolds gets hot enough to melt. That may be what you smell.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

Thats right the smell might be coming form the 4wd come to think of it. I smelt it today after pulling in to the garage. JH68