Scheduled Maintenance

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Azreloader
Regular
Regular

Scheduled Maintenance

Post by Azreloader »

My 02 just turned 12,000 trouble free miles and I took it in for scheduled maint last week (I do every other oil change myself at home). 8)

The service manager said they are now recommending a crank case flush every 12,000 miles due to the higher operating temps and aluminum parts in the Vortec engines. :?:

This is the first time I have heard this. I never did it in my 93 S10 Blazer?

Anyone have an idea if this will really help extend engine life, or is it just a way to get deeper into my wallet?
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

I'd do it if I were you, but have them put in full synthetic,... from then on, you should hardly ever have to touch it or worry about it. I'd feel safer if I were you and do it. It maybe a little early, but its better to be safe than sorry down the road.
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

I want to know what HenryJ thinks of a crankcase flush :?

It seems to me the only thing flushing will do is wash away the protective coating that is on all the surfaces, and could create more ware :shock: I run Mobil 1 & it doesn't get black in 3K miles how can there be a build up to wash away unless we are geting some crystallization on the underside of the pistons.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My philosophy is...run good oil and change frequently.

I don't think the flush would be needed unless there is a build-up of varnish present. As for the higher operating temps causing increased deposits that is a bit of an overstatement, IMO.

The oil technology has been staying ahead of the curve, and oils don't leave the nasty coating of varnish like they used to. They have been designed for the envoronment that todays engines create.

The majority of the oils out there now use a synthetic base. This and there own special mix of additives leads to a better, longer lasting and cleaner oil.

If you tend to run cheaper oil and run it a long time in terrible operating conditions, then a flush now and then would be a good thing.

The particulate matter in the oil (dirt) is what does the most damage, use a quality filter.

I have not been using the "Full" synthetics, but I can understand how they could perform well at extended change intervals. I would still change the filter at the normal intervals, for the given conditions.

If you want an example My HenryJ runs 200-230 degrees on the street. Even though it runs an external engine oil cooler and 8 gal. cooling system. It hits 7200 rpm at times ;) and I'm running Castrol 20-50w, which is a natural base oil. I have torn the engine down and rebuilt it 4 times in the last 12 years (the first three it was bracket raced every weekend) No build up , very little wear.

On the other side of the coin, we have some people who run the company rigs VERY hard in the worst conditions. When the oil starts getting pretty black between oil changes, I do use some SeaFoam to break the varnish. I run Delo 400 15-40w in the fleet, and have never had an engine failure due to engine oil :fingers crossed: ;)

I believe that the DELO 400 uses a synthetic base.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

I found this...Mobil Drive Clean Plus maybe no need to ever flush :D http://www.mobil.fi/USA-English/Lubes/P ... n_Plus.asp

Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.