Oil Filter Question

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Oil Filter Question

Post by bradjh »

I changed my oil in the cc today and i was wondering what the correct filter size is I usually use fram filters when i bought the truck it had a ph3980 on it and all the reference manuals at autozone say ph3387 the 3980 filter is bigger. does it matter which filter size i use? I dont want to mess anything up. brad
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You will probably get some comments about Fram filter. Don't take it personally. Frequent changes are the most important thing you can do. I won't suggest you waste money buying a high dollar filter. There are some good ones in a comparable price range to Fram.

There are long and short versions of a filter that fits our truck in most brands. The "bigger" filter has more media and is a better choice for both volume and efficiency.

Check out some of the posts on filters and you may decide to use a different brand next time.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:You will probably get some comments about Fram filter. Don't take it personally.
Well, I couldn't resist this one. :lol:

:alert: DO NOT USE FRAM OIL FILTERS :alert:

They have a well known reputation for collapsing or failing internally.

The same goes for their fuel filters.

Cheap junk made in another country. :roll:

If you want the best filter available get a K&N Gold Part # HP2001.

Part # HP2001 is a longer version of HP1001 which also fits, but has more filtration area and volume so it's simply a better choice. :wink:

The K&N filters also have a 1" end nut for easier removal if needed.

Mobil 1 also make very good filters and they are about the same price as the K&N's.

If you don't want to pay the higher price for a good filter at least get an AC Delco filter. :wink:

Steve
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Agreed
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I slid by for years using frams but, that may be the only lucky thing that has happened to me. I choose not to tempt the fates any longer.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

I always use Mobil 1 oil and filters. I use K&N when the mobil1 is out of stock and they're just as good and the same price (right at 10.00). The mobil1 filter for our 4.3 is the M1-201.
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My cost on NAPA Gold filters is right about $2.50 each. That is pretty hard to beat for a decent filter. NAPA filters are made by Wix.

This is a good thread: Bigger Oil Filter ??
Ken wrote: TIME WEIGHTED EFFICIENCY

WIX PRO-TEC 101= 69.3 %
AC PF-2 = 75.89 %
FRAM DEFENSE DL5851= 80.15 %
FRAM PH8A = 82.03 %
WIX 51515 = 83.96 %
HARD DRIVER HD-01 = 85.87 %
PUROLATOR L30001 = 86.00 %
PURE ONE PL3001 = 91.56 %
AMSOIL SDF-15 = 94.23 %

CAPACITY IN GRAMS
WIX PRO-TEC 101 = 6.38
FRAM PH8A = 8.17
FRAM DEFENSE DL5851 = 11.21
PUROLATOR L30001 = 11.42
PURE ONE PL3001 = 11.64
AC PF-2 = 13.26
WIX 51515 = 13.46
HARD DRIVER HD-01 = 16.95
AMSOIL SDF-15 = 18.19

The HS 806 test reviews the ability of a filter to remove a known contaminate from the fluid stream over a period of time. Results are reported as the percent of contaminant by (weight) removed over a period of time (Time Weighted Efficiency). Capacity (life) is also determined by noting the amount of contaminant required to increase the resistance across the media a given degree. Capacity is reported in grams of contaminant (Capacity in Grams).

Don't confuse the SAE HS 806 test as rating on contaminant size. It has nothing to do with "mircon" rating that is a different test. The SAE J1858 test is used to rate the "mircon" of a filter.
Another Oil Filter Study
rlrnr53 wrote:For you Fram users, you should read the e-mail from the former Fram engineer in the Oil Filter Study that is in HenryJ's last post. It contains some interesting information.
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I am doing a long term test of Amsoil 0w-30 synthetic oil and their filters. Supposed to be good for 1 year changes . When I change I buy 1 cheap filter and Amsoil motor flush, change filter with cheap, run flush, then install good filter with the new oil.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

04crewvt wrote:I am doing a long term test of Amsoil 0w-30 synthetic oil and their filters. Supposed to be good for 1 year changes . When I change I buy 1 cheap filter and Amsoil motor flush, change filter with cheap, run flush, then install good filter with the new oil.
You need to buy a good reusable "dissasemblable" filter. Something like the Oberg filter so that you can actually see the particulate matter. You will also need to install an oil pressure gauge as these do not bypass oil when they plug.
That is the biggest concern I have with using synthetics long term. Sure you can use a good oil filter, but when it plugs it bypasses just like any other filter. If you change the oil and filter regularly you limit the exposure. Still you really don't know when the filter media is full. With a non bypassing filter your pressure drops as it plugs. You can remove the disks and see just how much debris has gathered and have a good idea of what intervals would be best.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Right now I am just going on the color of the oil before and after the flush. I want to add the Amsiol bypass secondary filter and air filter then I can get the oil analyzed and see what the results are over time. I was just waiting for the warranty ran out and I got a little ahead on cash. The oil after a year looks cleaner than dino oil that has been in my older rigs for only 3 months. I know this test isn't perfect but If there is any problem I am prepared to have to replace parts as needed. I plan to see just how long I can keep this truck running. My bet is corrosion will kill it long before any engine wear issues.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The secondary filter is a very good idea. That would be easy to add in the engine oil cooler line. As would an Oberg filter.
Keep us informed as to your results and the associated costs.
I see it as a value to a car that sees high miles and street duty. I am skeptical to the value in a vehicle that sees lots of dirty roads and is not driven as frequently.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Right now I am running 99% street use, about 300-350 miles a week, 250 or so of that highway miles the rest stop and go in town. until I have a secondary vehicle that is reliable and gets better mileage than my 89 Silverado I would be doing too much wheeling with it.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Notice how none of the oil filter tests include the K&N Gold. :?

Maybe because they really are the best filters out there. :idea: :wink:

I wish someone would do a comparison. :?:

Steve
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

S Series with 4.3 use either of 2 AC DELCO filters

PF 47 or PF52

Other than the length, there is really NO Difference. I have 3 GM Vehicle that use one or the other (3.1 Malibu, 3.4 Grand Am, 4.3 CC) according to the book, I settled on just using the 52. I figure it'll filter out just a bit more than a 47. If you have real close quaters then by all means use the 47.

STAY AWAY FROM FRAM! BAD JU-JU!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I use the long filter on both my truck and the Maxx too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

killian96ss wrote:K&N Gold Part # HP2001...
Where can a fella purchase the K&N Gold Part # HP2001, or HP1001 online at a reasonable price???
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Your local Advanced Auto, National Auto, Carquest or PepBoys type of auto supply should carry K&N. They're quite popular. You can do a search on their website for your local dealer.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/dealersearch.aspx
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I'll have to find out if any of these places locally carry K & N oil filters. I see their air filters almost everywhere, but I don't recall ever seeing or even hearing about their oil filters.
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

If you can't find a local dealer there's always the option of buying bulk on the web. I've never done a search for a bulk purchase of K&N oil filters.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by williamcstonejr »

Fram part ref

Everything I have tells me to use AC-PF52. What was on my truck when I got it, what is in the manuels. Sooooooo from what I see you should have the larger filter anyway.

Billy
[size=75]All it takes is time and money.....the two things I don't seem to have very much of[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The larger is best and usually the same price. It is recommended but, if you were hundreds of miles from getting the larger version then you could sleep at night knowing it was just for one oil change.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Use the larger filter. More filter capacity=more filter media=slower flow of oil through filter=better job filtering=improved oil cleanliness=longer engine life=happier owner. Only other real issue is no matter whose oil or what type you use, do your truck a favor and change it often. That'll help do your wallet a favor in the long run. :)
As for filter maker, choose one you're comfortable with that makes a decent quality filter. :)
I know several on the forum don't agree and it riles them up but I've used the Fram PH3980 on my CC ever since I bought it. Before the "Gods of Evil and Hellfire" jump all over me I'd just like to say I've used them and others for years (30+) with no problems or ill effects. :hide: I'm not advocating their use, I just have no reason to fear it. :angel: So, that being said, Steve Reed Brule Others, before any of you start :punch: read this post carefully and temper your remarks. No arguement sought. Just stating experience as I said of 30+years. Not saying anybody else's experience might not be different. So, no :rant: 's please. :)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

No flak from me. I ran them and maybe I was lucky. They (Fram) may have learned from all the chatter on forums. I have not seen any recent studies. If, you knew the background of my run of bad luck then a couple bucks more would be a good investment :lol:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

f9k9 wrote:No flak from me. I ran them and maybe I was lucky. They (Fram) may have learned from all the chatter on forums. I have not seen any recent studies. If, you knew the background of my run of bad luck then a couple bucks more would be a good investment :lol:
Hey! Careful with that bad ju ju on luck thing. :hide: I got more than my fill of that kind of luck over the winter of 06-07 to the tune of six grand not including tires, oil, and gas. :cry: Not lookin for any repeats of that experience. :yikes: Just want some smooth sailin for a loooong time. :angel:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Wow! Using Fram filters cost you $6,000 including tires, oil, and gas??? :?:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Rockrz wrote:Wow! Using Fram filters cost you $6,000 including tires, oil, and gas??? :?:
No, you didn't read the whole thread. The six grand referred repairs other than gas, oil, and tires. I include filters in these catagories as well as I never change oil without changing filters.
Blackmobile
Regular
Regular

Post by Blackmobile »

I've been using Wal-Mart filters. I know, "you're doing what"???

SuperTechs are made by Champion and have performed well in my CC and I use them on my Hinckley Triumph... $2.69 vs. $12.++ for a "Genuine" Triumph filter, which looks suspiciously like the Honda filter, which looks just like the SuperTech.... go figure.
[size=75]stock 03 CC
"Blackmobile"[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Blackmobile wrote:I've been using Wal-Mart filters. I know, "you're doing what"???
No surprised looks or comments from me. :) I've used Wallyworld filters before too. Not to mention I've been using their Tech2000 oil for years. Also have used their anti-freeze and atf as well. No problems. 8)
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

mmmm...Wallyworld brand oil filters! :lol:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Rockrz wrote:mmmm...Wallyworld brand oil filters! :lol:
A popular slang for Wal-Mart in my family after watching the Chevy Chase movie "Vacation". They were headed for "Wally World" in California. Obviously used since they didn't want to say Disneyland. :lol:
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

Valv. max life syn blend 5w30 and a Delco PH52 for every change in the last year (20k mi worth) for me. Im happy
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

T Man wrote:Valv. max life syn blend 5w30 and a Delco PH52 for every change in the last year (20k mi worth) for me. Im happy
But, is your bottom end happy?
That's what really counts.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Rockrz wrote:
T Man wrote:Valv. max life syn blend 5w30 and a Delco PH52 for every change in the last year (20k mi worth) for me. Im happy
But, is your bottom end happy?
That's what really counts.
Hmmm? Now there's a thought to ponder. :?: A happy bottom end. Are we talkin trucks or people now. :lmao:
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I meant is the bottom end of yer engine happy.

You know, the only real way to tell if your bearings in the bottom end are happy is to take an oil sample and have it anylized at de Lab.
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Rockrz wrote:I meant is the bottom end of yer engine happy.

You know, the only real way to tell if your bearings in the bottom end are happy is to take an oil sample and have it anylized at de Lab.
Don't get hard. Just messin with ya. That's why the lil yellow guy is laughin and rollin round on the floor. :lol: And yeah, I know all about analyzing oil samples too. 8)
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

roadrunner wrote:Don't get hard....
I can assure you that isn't something I'm looking to do :shock:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Rockrz wrote:
roadrunner wrote:Don't get hard....
I can assure you that isn't something I'm looking to do :shock:
:lol: :thumb:
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I know, I couldn't resist.

Actually, I figured the post about "is your bottom end happy" would draw a few funny responses.

Sorry to get the thread off topic, but it was kinda funny. 8)
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Hey, filters can be kinda boring so a little fun never hurts. 8)
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Wow, I just glanced at your post without reading it carefully, and
I thought it said "oil filters can hurt"

I'm thinking, yeah it depends on where you stick 'em
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Uh Oh! Somebody else who thinks evil twisted thoughts. :evil: Kinda like me. Ooops did I print that out loud! :angel:
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

roadrunner wrote:Uh Oh! Somebody else who thinks evil twisted thoughts
Yeah, kinda like...

Crowded elevator smell different to midget! :wink:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Ewww! Gross! :offtopic: We'd better behave else Brule will have to give us detentions or worse.
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by williamcstonejr »

:puke:
rockrz wrote:Yeah, kinda like...
Crowded elevator smell different to midget! :wink:

oops, sorry :oops:
Last edited by williamcstonejr on Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[size=75]All it takes is time and money.....the two things I don't seem to have very much of[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Hey!!! I didn't write that! Rockrz did. :nono:

No harm, No foul. :lol:
Last edited by roadrunner on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Yep, those little people have it rough.

I know I wouldn't like living my life with my
face being about butt high to everyone else. :?

That's why it's good to be nice to the little people :wink:

OK, so did you guys ever figga out which oil
filter give the most "bang for the buck"?

(*No jokes about ladies of the night, now...)
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I think if you can buy a decent quality filter at a reasonable cost and change it often that's about the best you can do. I buy mine in case lots so I get a little exrta break there.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Good info, I cant recall what oil filter the manual calls for off hand, but I know the AC Delco PF52 that I used in my old S-10, and dad used in his old silverado 350 V8, works. Much larger then what the manual calls for, and fits perfectly.

Dad has used AC Delco filters for years, and AC Delco is the only filter I have used. Except a Fram I used once...