tune up help :?:

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

badandy2003cc4x4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

tune up help :?:

Post by badandy2003cc4x4 »

Ok I decided to work on the crew today and get it ready for winter. attempted to change plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and pcv. got all done but 2 plugs and wires took for ever. how do you get your fat hand to number 3 and 5 to get wire off I tore 6 took forever to get the boot off. also is there a easy way to open the wire looms? I already read about unbolting the steering for 3 will try that when I get back to it.
at least the torsin bar crank and oil change went smooth
[size=75]2003 Sonoma SLS Akimoto conical air filter, soft tonneauver[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Those Looms are a mystery to me! I have never gotten a decent answer on how to solve the mystery and I have changed wires 3x on S10s.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

I just completed the same task last weekend. Removing the front wheels and unbolting the steering shaft makes changing the plugs as easy as possible. As for the wire looms, I am still sporting busted knuckles. A small screw driver inserted into the latch side of the loom then push in while prying out. This will work with the ones that you can reach. The plastic looms will pull off the metal bracket, some easier than others, then remove the whole assembly, wires, looms and cap. Assemble the new wires and cap per the old one then place the looms on the wires in the same place as the original. This must be the way that they are assembled in the factory since it is impossible to reach the latches of some of the looms. Be sure to read Warning Plastic Distributor Cap. I used my bench grinder's wire wheel to remove the thread lock off of the new screws and eased the new ones in and out a little at a time to clean the old thread lock out followed by a shot of compressed air . This link may also be useful Distributor cap/Rotor Review. I used the Nieoff stuff, Taylor Spiro wires and Autolite XP plugs. The XP plugs are great!

Good luck!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Looms, who needs looms? :lol:

On all of my vehicles I remove the factory looms and install my own separators and secure them with wire ties if necessary. :wink:

I've never had any wires get burned or had any other problems doing it this way.

Steve
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

You are the MAN Steve!
badandy2003cc4x4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by badandy2003cc4x4 »

I admit i was eyeballing the zip ties when I was reassembling
[size=75]2003 Sonoma SLS Akimoto conical air filter, soft tonneauver[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I figured I'd swing by and see if there was any new revelation into replacing the wires, plugs, cap and rotor......I still got my replacements in the shipping box from Summit.....But the box has been moved from my kitchen table to the basement floor next to the Harley. :oops: I've now pushed myself to demand the 100K out of the CC before going through the he** of replacing this stuff. :wink: :lol:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

WVHogRider wrote:I've now pushed myself to demand the 100K out of the CC before going through the he** of replacing this stuff. :wink: :lol:
You could wait until 100k, however your mileage and performance will be declining by then. :(

I would do a complete tune up around 65k to 75k miles, but that's just me. :wink:

Steve
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

killian96ss wrote:
WVHogRider wrote:I've now pushed myself to demand the 100K out of the CC before going through the he** of replacing this stuff. :wink: :lol:
You could wait until 100k, however your mileage and performance will be declining by then. :(

I would do a complete tune up around 65k to 75k miles, but that's just me. :wink:

Steve
Yeah, I started to do the replacement back in May when all the stuff was delivered......But I got those fat hands that were mentioned earlier. I also have an oil & oil filter sitting in the back seat....that's been in need of changing for about a month now. :oops: I've been pre-occupied with the harley.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

WVHogRider wrote:.............. I've been pre-occupied with the harley.
Be thankful you have priorities :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

f9k9 wrote:
WVHogRider wrote:.............. I've been pre-occupied with the harley.
Be thankful you have priorities :lol:
Well, chicks dig the Harley more than the CC. :wink:
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

:bump: Well, to much amazement, I finally got around to putting all these parts on over the weekend. :rock: Here's the list of what I got done on the truck over the weekend: Oil & filter change, cleaned K&N air filter, lube job, tires rotated, brake fluid system flushed, new rear brakes, the "new" plugs/wires/cap/rotor finally installed, throttle body & MAF cleaned. Tonight, I'll try to get the door pins done, but the GF may want to go for a ride instead. :wink: . I also bought a transmission cooler that will go on in the next week or two before hauling my camper on vacation, (Now it's time to search for that thread on that install). :nana: Oh, and you guys were right, the only really hard part was getting a socket on that #3 plug and dealing with those plug wire clamps. :!: Anyways, just wanted to let you know that it finally got done after a little over two years. :wink:
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

WVHogRider wrote: it finally got done after a little over two years. :wink:
Isn't almost time to do it again? :lol:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

barch97 wrote:Isn't almost time to do it again? :lol:
Nope. It's good for another 125K. :cheers:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

OK maybe my search skills lack ? :shock: But, I really would like to know the Part #'s for the tuneup parts for my '02 CC. I'm thinking : Niehoff cap & rotor, TaylorSpiroPro wires and Autolite Irridium plugs ? Anyone have these #'s and/or better ideas what to use ? :?: 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Try the "cap/rotor comparison" sticky and the thread titled "sparkplugs"

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Summit Order: Autolite XP605's $7.95 each, TaylorThunderVolt 8.2's $60.39, Summit SUM G222 cap& rotor w/brass terminals $61.95 :roll: 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Anyone tried the E3 plugs?
Getting ready to do a tune up myself and have been wondering about them
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Heepers have tried them and gave them a thumbs down.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

f9k9 wrote:Heepers have tried them and gave them a thumbs down.
Same with bikers. E3s have grown a bad reputation.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Same with any small engines I've tried them in. Not good!
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Be sure to read Warning Plastic Distributor Cap.

GREAT, I read this just after I finished installing my cap/rotor.
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Oh BTW, the guy I talked to at Oreilly said that they are not reccommending the E3 plugs for stock engines.

By that he meant that unless you are running a modified air intake and exhaust system, (guessing more airflow?) the E3 plugs produce too hot a spark and can possibly burn a piston.

Just wanted to share.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

PATRICKH wrote:Oh BTW, the guy I talked to at Oreilly said that they are not reccommending the E3 plugs for stock engines.

By that he meant that unless you are running a modified air intake and exhaust system, (guessing more airflow?) the E3 plugs produce too hot a spark and can possibly burn a piston.
This parts guy has no clue what he is talking about! :shock:

Steve
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

He did say that was a worst case scenario.

Anyway, went with the AC Delco rapid fire plugs.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Little different problem ? I came to a stop last night and down to just idle. Died as if shut off, but restarted with no delay. Never had anything like this before, any Idea what to look at ? I have had a couple of hiccups while moving along and accelerating before this dead act. :?: