Stock sparkplug wires

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Stock sparkplug wires

Post by HenryJ »

Figured out why the "big light show" (leakage)- 7mm wires!

What in the heck was GM thinking? :!:

Did someone forget that even in the '70's they were using 8mm wires on the High Energy Ignitions.

Ours develop more voltage than the old HEI did.

I just find it hard to believe they thought that these wires would be sufficient :twisted:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

wow, so i need to get new wires?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Stock sparkplug wires

Post by quickbiker »

HenryJ wrote:Figured out why the "big light show" (leakage)- 7mm wires!

What in the heck was GM thinking? :!:

Did someone forget that even in the '70's they were using 8mm wires on the High Energy Ignitions.

Ours develop more voltage than the old HEI did.

I just find it hard to believe they thought that these wires would be sufficient :twisted:

Are you using aftermarket ignition though? That's strange.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Stock sparkplug wires

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:Are you using aftermarket ignition though? That's strange.
I am now.

I checked it with the stock ignition system too. Try it yourself I may just have the only one that has arcing occuring ;)

Wait until it is really dark outside , or in a garage, then unplug the underhood light, apply the emergency brake, grab your hand held flashlight, start the engine , push the dome light switch four times to shut off the headlights.

Then look for the "light show"when you see sparking , use the flashlight to see where it is happening.

Mild problems can be cured with a good heavy coat of cheap hairspray, relocation , or in the case of boots - dielectric silicone. EDIT: the stock wires only had a "dab" of silicone and not all the way around the inside of the boots. Carefully coating the inside of the boots with dielectric silicone, using a Q-tip, would be a big improvement.

Try those fixes first, I'm afraid that nothing will fix the 7mm wires though. :!:
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I had bought and installed taylor wires when the truck had 24k. At the same time, the Stupid SES light continued to go on and off. My dealer back at home hooked the truck up to the machine "missfire on #4"... Mechanic siad there was a carbon deposit because of them :twisted: total b.s. (he said it was misfiring due to the fact that they aren't factory wires) I replaced the factory ones, it happened again, went to a certified GM "truck center" and they said it was my MAF. It's been fine ever since. To make a long story short, when she hits 36k, I am putting the taylor wires back in. Just looking at them, they look twice as big as AC DELCO
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]