Balance Shaft Engine Noise?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Balance Shaft Engine Noise?

Post by Joseph »

After having my truck for a while I wanted to see if that rattle noise in the engine could be fix. My dealer told me they replaced engines and other parts, still that didn't work. GM doesn't have a solution for this problem and they told my dealer thats just the way it is. Dealer told me they had other 4.3 liters with that noise as 3 times as loud as mine. GM has known about this for years. I lived with this noise long enough and can't believe that can't fix it. The noise is getting on my nerves and don't care to hear it any more. So, I considering on trading in my truck on a full size or wait for the Colorado due in September. If things don't work out I'll keep the truck and just deal with it. That noise isn't bad, it's just there. I'll take this week end to think about it and try to decided on what I'm going to do. JH68
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i have driven the 4.3 since 94 so i am guess i am used to it cuz i dont hear it anymore.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

I'm assuming your talking about the blance shaft noise. So far my trucks tight. I'll see how my engine goes and decide from there what to do about it.

Good Luck,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Jim

Re: Balance Shaft Engine Noise?

Post by Jim »

Joseph wrote:After having my truck for a while I wanted to see if that rattle noise in the engine could be fix. My dealer told me they replaced engines and other parts, still that didn't work. GM doesn't have a solution for this problem and they told my dealer thats just the way it is. Dealer told me they had other 4.3 liters with that noise as 3 times as loud as mine. GM has known about this for years. I lived with this noise long enough and can't believe that can't fix it. The noise is getting on my nerves and don't care to hear it any more. So, I considering on trading in my truck on a full size or wait for the Colorado due in September. If things don't work out I'll keep the truck and just deal with it. That noise isn't bad, it's just there. I'll take this week end to think about it and try to decided on what I'm going to do. JH68

As far as I can see there is no fix, it’s the backlash between the gears. They could have used fiber gears that would need to be replaced every 50K miles but they would be quiet. When you look at the exploded view you can see it's the "luck of the draw" in the machining of your block. There seems to be no adjustment. The shaft turns twice the speed of the camshaft driving it. When you hear the noise is when it is doing the most counterbalancing.

Don't get me wrong I hate the noise too. :twisted: But the one I test drove & the one I bought both had the same noise. The sound has not changed in 14K miles & I don't expect it to ever change. I am considering better sound insulation on both sides of the firewall.

Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

Thanks for the info. I think since enough people have complaint about this you would think GM would do something about it. JH68