Next coolant change going back to the stock temp termostat?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Jim

Next coolant change going back to the stock temp termostat?

Post by Jim »

I don't get my truck warmed up in the winter driving to work 2.5 miles down hill. In cold weather wait too long for heat. With all my short trips wouldn't it be better to go from the 180 to the 195 fail safe thermostat?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It sure isn't going to hurt anything.
Mine still gets warm enough that I end up turning it down, so I am going to stick with 180.
I do have an engine block heater and cabin heater, so mine is warm when I jump in. That may make the difference in my case.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I don't see the 195 giving you much extra heat in 2.5 miles, It takes about that many for mine to get heat stock. An electric cabin heater might be your best investment.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

Just curious. Do you folks let you trucks/vehicles warm up before you drive them? I have always been told by mechanics, automotive instructors, engine builders etc, etc. that you should allow your vehicles to warm up for at least 5 mins before driving. Especially in cold weather.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't , but mine is kept warm.
It is a good idea to let them warm up a little, but newer oils are better at protecting during start-up and cold run. It is not as critical as it once was.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Do most of the northern climate trucks have the factory installed block heaters?
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Just those ordered with the cold climate package. It was an option. Mine did not come with it , I added one.
2001 the crew cab was test marketed in the NW.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I see. Thank you HenryJ
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

HenryJ wrote:I don't , but mine is kept warm.
It is a good idea to let them warm up a little, but newer oils are better at protecting during start-up and cold run. It is not as critical as it once was.
Oil sludge??? I know of someone who recently had to replace his entire engine (02 Suburban?) because the drain back passages were so clogged the engine starved itself of oil. This vehicle is driven to school (3 mins away) and back home more thatn it is driven anywhere else. Maybe it was the oil they used or driving habits or the combination of both. Just saying. Isn't one reason of sludge build up is because of the engine not being allowed to run at normal operating temp long enough to "burn" the condesation out of the crankcase??
Jim

Post by Jim »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:
HenryJ wrote:I don't , but mine is kept warm.
Oil sludge??? I know of someone who recently had to replace his entire engine (02 Suburban?) because the drain back passages were so clogged the engine starved itself of oil. This vehicle is driven to school (3 mins away) and back home more thatn it is driven anywhere else. Maybe it was the oil they used or driving habits or the combination of both. Just saying. Isn't one reason of sludge build up is because of the engine not being allowed to run at normal operating temp long enough to "burn" the condesation out of the crankcase??
I was thinking on those lines...when I do go for a longer trip I would burn more crap out of the oil :) I use Mobil 1 and change between 3000 and 4000 miles.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Oils are better, clearances tighter. We don't have the piston slop that used to be common.

You do need to burn the moisture out, but idling to warm things up is not going to do that. If that is your concern, add and engine block heater and keep the engine at 100 degrees to prevent condensation from forming.

If you have a very short trip on a cold engine daily, you are screwed. You need to drive far enough to heat up the exhaust system and blow the condensation out. The stainless steel system will help with the longevity.

Maybe use some Seafoam to treat the oil once in a while and prevent it from sludging up. Most times problems like that can be solved by using a quality oil and regular maintenance schedule.
If you are still having severe sludging problems, a more likely contributor would be intake manifold leaks.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I use all five Qts. of 5-30 Castrol GTX plus one pint of Marvel oil and a Wix filter every 3000 miles. I've got 117000 miles on my truck and zero engine problems. My daily work round trip is 140 miles with a constant average of 23 MPG. So far I can't Bitch. 8) :lol:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Similiar to Hammerr here. Use the "cheap" oil from Wal-Mart (Tech-2000) drain every 3k summer and shorten up to 1500-2000 winter depending on usage. I don't prewarm the engine. I start it let all the lights go out on the dash run a few more seconds then start out driving gently. No rabbit starts or heavy throttle operation till the temp gauge comes up at least half way to normal operating temps. 98k so far no engine problems.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

What is the JET part # for the 180* thermostat, I know we need a vented one or some such thing ?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Horsehammerr wrote:What is the JET part # for the 180* thermostat, I know we need a vented one or some such thing ?
Thermostats

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Sure would be simpler to just add the JET # 10171 to the mod page. But thanks anyway. 8)