Front Axle Noise

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

hunter401

Front Axle Noise

Post by hunter401 »

I have started hearing some new sounds from my front axle. I just replaced the Tansfer Case Vacuum Switch and Front Axle Actuator. Now Then I am in 4x2 there is a noise comming from the front end and it goes away when in 4x4. The Noise starts at 45mph. Any Ideas what this could before I pull it all apart to replace my Oil Pan gasket and rear main seal?
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

might be low on fluid?
can you describe the sound it makes?
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
hunter401

Post by hunter401 »

It sounds like a hub bearing. It sounds like it is coming from the right side. There are no leaks, the fluid was changed less then 8,000 miles ago and there is the proper amount of fluid in the diff. and the correct fluid was added.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

hunter401 wrote:It sounds like a hub bearing...........
Then it just might be the bearing assembly. Jack it up and grab it at the 12 + 6 O'clock position. If, it has play then replace it.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
hunter401

Post by hunter401 »

I thought it was the hub bearing at frist. I replaced the hub bearing about 2000 miles ago. I check it again and theres no end play in it. It does sound like its comming from the right side I was thinking something with the Clutch fork for the front diff.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Did you replace both assemblies? I recently got fooled on a heep. I swore up and down it was the right side making the noise. The noise didn't stop until I replaced the left one as well.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
hunter401

Post by hunter401 »

I am going to check the other side. I know for a fact the right side wheel bearing was bad. Would the Prop Shaft make this noise when not in 4x4?
hunter401

Post by hunter401 »

I just replaced my front left wheel bearing. Some Noise went away. Now when I am at 45+ mph I get a hollowing sound with a slight vibration. It get louder up to 60mph. Then disappears at 67-70+ Mph. When I put it in 4x4 on coast and decelerations I get a hollowing sound from the front diff.
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

Your front axle may be staying engaged even though your transfer case is not.

With you truck running and the transfer case in 2wd, block the wheels and try turning the front driveshaft. It should turn with very little resistance.

Just a guess.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
hunter401

Post by hunter401 »

Something else I just noitce about it. When everything is cold there are no sounds, once everything warms up it starts making sounds. The front diff fluid was changed about a year ago (about 8,000mi).
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

this same problem happend to me i replaced a lot of parts and it turned out my CV axle went out.