Balance Shaft Noise

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

gill

Balance Shaft Noise

Post by gill »

I have 2001 Crew Cab, after about 6 months I noticed a noise from the engine. Dealer replaced the whole exhaust system. No help. Tried tightening heat shield bolts. No help. Dealer then found service Bulletin Engine/Balance Shaft Rattle Noise #00-06-01-123B-(11/26/2002). GM has extented my warranty to 6 years or 100,000 miles. I'm still not happy listening to that noise and contacted the BBB. They are susposed to get with the dealer and discuss our options, or it could go to arbitration. Has anybody been through this ?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There have been quite a few threads on the subject:

engine noise

Balance shaft engine noise?

TSB scan of 4.3 balance shaft noise

There is also some information in the stock info : Balance Shaft Noise on the website.
Last edited by HenryJ on Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
cruzzonn

noise

Post by cruzzonn »

I have a new crew and I have some rattling noise , getting ready to take it to the dealer. It sounds like a major problem for Chevrolet and I think they need to do something about it.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: noise

Post by HenryJ »

cruzzonn wrote:I have a new crew and I have some rattling noise , getting ready to take it to the dealer. It sounds like a major problem for Chevrolet and I think they need to do something about it.
I think you better get used to it, If you read the threads above you find out that there is no cure for the rattle, but there is no damage either...other than to your sanity ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

I noticed a sound like my engine struggling going about 30-35 miles/hr...is this what i am hearing also? It is weird.