3.42 or 3.73??????

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

pistol

3.42 or 3.73??????

Post by pistol »

Considering getting a ZR5. I will be putting a cap on it and in the winter will tow a snowmoblie trailer. Should I get 3.42 gears as most of them seem to be or order one with 3.73's?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Definately the 3.73 . IMO the mileage is better. It seems to be in the right powerband for the Vortec 4.3L

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

4.10 :lol: get as low as you can
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

Are you able to choose from two ZR5's with options you like that have the different rear ends? My father-in-law works for Delphi and used to work in a final assembly plant for GM in OK City. When we (my wife and I) were looking at the Crew and outfitting how we wanted it, he voiced concerns that at some point the factory will shift production to the next model year, and in our case no year because of the new Colorado. We were able to do a dealer trade at our local Chevy dealer with one about 200 miles away instead of ordering one through GM. What I'm getting at is that if you know of actual trucks you can choose from (including a dealer trade - just ask your local one to check their database for you) this late in the model year, then more power too ya!!! If not, I say as my dad would, "Stop dilly-dallying around" and jump on board with us!!!
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i would have to say :?: :shock:

so how is whichita today. i stayed there once with a fellow named fowler. crazy guy.....
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

When I check GMbuypower.com, I see that most dealers do order it with the 3.73 gears. I bought mine off the lot and both Crews they had at that time were 3.73 rears. If you plan on towing, def, get the 3.73. Esp, if you plan on getting bigger tires in the future.

Good Luck,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Harvick29

Post by Harvick29 »

How do you find out which gears you have? And is that number just for the rear end? This is the first 4wd Ive owned and I was thinking of a 2" lift with some bigger tires...
This truck is like my wife, usually I love her but sometimes...POW! To the moon Alice!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Harvick29 wrote:How do you find out which gears you have?
Checking the RPO Codes in your glove box is the easiest way.

These are some RPO search engines:

RPO by letter search

EastcostZR2 RPO search engine

I'll start a newTopic to make it easier to search for :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

Wichita Falls is great!!! We went jetski'n this afternoon. Only we just had golfball-sized hail come through. And we live in an apartment. Luckily the bank I work at is just down the street and we sat in the drive thru!!! I may want a cowl hood, but not that much.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

I wanted to drive one with a 3.73 before I ordered mine but couldn't find one. So I ordered the 3.42 I thought it would get worse mileage. My best mileage so far is around 18.5 not much highway though.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

Get a tranny cooler asap.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

I have an ext cab with 3.42's and it has gone through two trannies. Get the 3.73. You would thing the thing would get better mileage with the 3.42 but it doesn't. Believe me you do not want to pay for one of these trannies. The last one cost me $5900 because it was out of warranty and parts went through the housing (the guy said it spontaneously imploded then spat out parts at will, then it seized). The first one was under warranty and the final bill which I didn't have to pay for as $6600 because it messed up the starter and flywheel too.

Get the 3.73's you will be much happier.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

3.73 for sure! Before I ordered mine, I test drove one with 3.42 and I thought the power really sucked. If they offer 4.10's now get that, but I doubt they do. I am happy I ordered the 3.73's, and it is a no cost option. Also, get the G80 rear!
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

quickbiker wrote:3.73 for sure! Before I ordered mine, I test drove one with 3.42 and I thought the power really sucked. If they offer 4.10's now get that, but I doubt they do. I am happy I ordered the 3.73's, and it is a no cost option. Also, get the G80 rear!

and paul, that brings up a good question. we all know that the g-80 is crap. when are you going to get a real locker
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

LOL, hey, I know it's not a real locker, but it out does anyone with open diffs. I've been very happy with it! But some day, yea, some kinda locker. If I was put'n one in, it would be ether the Eaton E-locker or the Detroit E-locker. They both offer lockers that are posi when not locked also. I wouldn't want to loose a posi on pavement. Spinning and burning up tires suck.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

quickbiker wrote:LOL, hey, I know it's not a real locker, but it out does anyone with open diffs. .

sometimes :roll: usually its when you need it, its not locked so you might as well be open.

you can get a open diff for like 75 bucks and then throw a lockright in. i know tons of people who have them. and its way cheap. and i havent heard that detriot made a locker for us.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

3.42 - better gas mileage on highway, light (as in no) towing, LIGHT hauling

3.73 - better gas mileage in city, or on highway with heavy towing/hauling

Why are you guys blowing tranny's? If it's because of the gears, your overloading it beyond it's tolerances, we do have a VERY strong tranny, in fact, it's so good the BMW 5 series decided to use it in the mid nineties, now they use it's sister which is an auto 5 speed. GM is pretty good on tranny's, guess that's why Audi/BMW/Ford/Jaguar all use them. But our tranny is outdated... did you find a condition that will destroy it? I don't have the money for extended warranty yet, need to baby this girl through 5 years :(
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya, i want my tranny to last too. he got me scared cuz i have 3.42's and 31's...which is killing me already. but its put a fire underneath me to go get some lower gears anyhow. 31's are just too much
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
QnsRyche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by QnsRyche »

glad i got 3:73 and if your towing ITS A MUST
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, and I am changing my mind again and think I will stick with 31's. At least till I join the bigger dogs like warnoffroad's beast. :?
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

quickbiker wrote:Yea, and I am changing my mind again and think I will stick with 31's. At least till I join the bigger dogs like warnoffroad's beast. :?

ya, just wait till those 31's are worn out then go 33's and put the body lift on and then tube the rear :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

But then the gearing would suck. Dunno, I think now it makes sense to wait till I got SFA.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

quickbiker wrote:But then the gearing would suck. Dunno, I think now it makes sense to wait till I got SFA.

oh ya, if your are going sfa, then just wait and do it all at once. i am not so i am going to gear to 31's. your 33's or 35's... you'll at least be running 4.56's to 5.13's....
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Well remember I blew my diff, a CV, and twisted my shafts. I was going very slow up a hill in 4low. Those 31s are already enough stres on that diff. But in my case thats just another way for your wife to let u go SFA. 5.13s would be way too low. I have 4.11s and have a good amount of power, 4.56 would be great. My friend with the balzer has 3.55s with his 35s and he can still roast ALOT of cars.
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

a2b wrote:ya, just wait till those 31's are worn out then go 33's and put the body lift on and then tube the rear :lol:

They make tube bumpers for the rear? Do you have a link?
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Oh, nvm I was thinking of the double tube bumpers that most wranglers have.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

These are way better!
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

They look like they would slide off rocks better but I like the looks of the tubes