Loose gas tank

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Loose gas tank

Post by DLP »

While I was under the truck tonight checking for leaks and such. I noticed the rear tank trap bolt was about 1" loose. It apears that the bolt had vibrated loose at some time. As I started to tighten the bolt back up, the nut holder (for lack of a better name) broke loose from the frame. It (the nut) is inside a frame cross rail. Now the bolt spins with the nut. Any one else have this issue? I think I will jack up the tank and cut the bolt off and replace it with a new one. Might be fun trying to hold the new nut inside the frame. Any thoughts?
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I found my tank strap loose while I was preparing for last years Moab trip and found resistance when tightening it. I soaked it for a couple of days to go further in the process but, that is not helping your situation. Better wait for other ideas before I post what I have learned in Jeep forums. Our rigs are getting older and often preparation for a week or two before the work is performed is becoming more important.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I would have PB blasted it. But it looked harmless enough as I turned the ratchet. O-$#!! as it poped and spun before I had a chance to even react!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

DLP wrote:I would have PB blasted it. But it looked harmless enough as I turned the ratchet. O-$#!! as it poped and spun before I had a chance to even react!
No one is blaming you. I would have done it myself if, I hadn't had a couple of yrs working on pos heeps lately. They just broke me bad is all. Let's wait on Brule or someone else before we accept reality in this situation. :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would consider a nutsert, or spring retention nut to replace the welded nut. Hard to say what would work the best.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

DLP wrote:............it looked harmless enough........
Mine did too. I was born in MI and something always raises alarms in me when anything that has spent time there becomes difficult to tighten or loosen. The resistance creates heat and I was told that sometimes that is bad. I am anxious to try the candle wax theory that I have recently learned that frees up frozen bolts. I haven't pack any yet in my trail bag but, it sounds plausible.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:I would consider a nutsert, or spring retention nut to replace the welded nut. Hard to say what would work the best.
I knew he would drop by to answer your question. All you have to do is research the answer, solve it and let us all know how it worked. Thanks, Brule
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I would just tack-weld a nut to the support. But it's a little too close to the big black plastic thing that might go boom! That wouldn't be good. I am heading out tonight to get a measurement on the bolt size. I belive once I cut the bolt, I can weld a stem on the new nut to hold it in place inside the support. No way to get an open-end wrench or socket in there. Hide and watch. I will be back!
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I got the bolt cut off. What a POS mounting tab. The nut has a square coller that fits between the walls of the crossmember. The clip that holds the nut to the crossmember has 2 small tabs that hold it together. The bolt vibrated loose and the tabs rusted through alowing the nut to spin inside the crossmember. I hacksawed the bolt off and pulled the rest of the bolt out. As much as I hate to replace this with the same POS. It would be the easiest way out. At 130,000 miles, It wont be long before I have to drop the tank to replace the pump. I will use a little antisieze on the new bolt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 0_4904.jpg
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Just goes to show, if you see that color on a fastener stop- spray with Deep Creep for a few days - then remove
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:..........spray with Deep Creep for a few days..............
Do we have a Deep Creep convert? Mention anything other that the miracle "PB Blaster" on a heep forum and prepare to be flamed......lol! I think it is much better.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

It is sure better than wd-40 been using it for a while now got tired of breaking of bolts. Never tried PB Blaster.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I got a new nut and bolt from our local auto store. The clip is beefier but I don't know if I like the tube type nut. I used a little locktite and a jam-nut at the end for good measure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 0_4911.jpg
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That type spring clip retention nut will work just fine. You may need a dab of Loctite to keep it from loosening.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:That type spring clip retention nut will work just fine. You may need a dab of Loctite to keep it from loosening.
Playing devil's advocate here, Brule. Why not use anti seize (gawd, why did I ever bother to learn "'I before 'E' except, after 'C' ") when it is a fastener that you know you will have to readdress in the future?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The straps tend to loosen. Loctite will prevent the oxidation that damages it too. I would rather have to cut it again and not worry about it loosening up.
Anti-sieze may not be the wrong answer either if it doesn't loosen due to vibration.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:The straps tend to loosen. Loctite will prevent the oxidation that damages it too. I would rather have to cut it again and not worry about it loosening up.
Anti-sieze may not be the wrong answer either if it doesn't loosen due to vibration.
Sounds logical to me. I use the heck out of it for other applications. Front wheel bearing assemblies for starters. I hit all contact surfaces. Just want to make a trail or roadside repair a little easier.
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I used medium blue on the nut and few threads of the bolt. Then antisiezed the rest of the bolt. I will check the strap for when I change the oil and grease it.