CV problem

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

CV problem

Post by paintballrocker »

Hey guys i got a Q about my CV boot.
I noticed today when i was driving to work that the front passanger side axle was amking a grinding sound. So when i got home today i looked and my CV boot was torn and grease was flung everywhere.
My Q is should i replace the boot or get a whole new CV axle from autozone?

thanks
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

If you waited for it to make noise it's probably to late to just change the boot.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I agree. If it has been long enough to be full of dirt, you will be better off to replace it.
Check out the boots on the replacement closely. Many of the cheap replacements have poor boots that crack in a year or so. Usually just outside the warranty period.
Remember: A lifetime warranty may mean that they can afford to give you at least four replacements and still break even. They hope you will get tired of changing parts and give up. How many times to you want to do the job? Buy quality parts and do the job once.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

You brought up a very good point. I have looked at them all and it is hard to tell witch ones are good. Just because you got them at NAPA don't mean they are good.
So this brings us to where to get good ones. I think all the chains mite use the same rebuilder? What do you think?
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!