what trans do i need

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bscirep

what trans do i need

Post by bscirep »

hello everybody im new here but ill get right to the point i have a 02 zr5 4x4 sonoma with a bad trans. the trans shop quoted me 18-2200 for a rebuild but the local pick-a-part has a bunch of s10's and said i can get a trans for $320 will any 4l60e work or do i need to look for a specific truck to pull it from thanks in advance
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It needs to be a 4L60E from a 4x4 as I believe the output shafts are different.

Keep in mind that the used transmission may not be long lived too, depending upon how it was treated.
There are some inherent problems that will be corrected when rebuilt. A stronger sun shell is just one thing that needs improvement. The $1800 rebuild may be a better long term solution. If you only plan to keep it a few years, then used is perhaps a better choice.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Consider a new trans (or rebuilt complete unit) as opposed to rebuilding your current trans as well. The cost typically is not that much different, and a complete unit will typically carry a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty (75K miles at the worst), where rebuilding your current trans will probably only carry a 12month/12,000 mile warranty on only the parts that were replaced during the rebuild.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I would also go for a rebuilt transmission, but if you need to save money and get one from the salvage yard there have been several different versions of the 4L60E made since it's introduction in 1993.

You need a 4L60E out of a 1998-2005 4x4 S10. :wink:

This transmission will have a shorter output shaft than a 2wd transmission, a full perimeter 2 piece bell housing instead of the 1 piece non removable bellhousing, plus the later models have a slightly different bolt pattern and revised valve body.

If you decide to get a rebuilt transmission, Phoenix Transmissions in TX does a great job with the 700R4/4L60E and is easily one of the best transmission rebuilders in the country for this transmission.

Steve
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Take their advice on the rebuild/reman. I had mine rebuilt a couple years ago and one of the things replaced was a detonated sun-shell. And I do mean detonated! It is a weak spot.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I did the junk yard tranny one time. I bought it removed my old one put the new one in and guess what... It was bad. Pulled it out again and got another one put it in and it slipped. It is alot of work to change out a 4x4 trany... I was very pissed. I ended up taking my trany to the and getting it rebuilt. Save your self alot of work and get it rebuilt....
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

roadrunner wrote:Take their advice on the rebuild/reman. I had mine rebuilt a couple years ago and one of the things replaced was a detonated sun-shell. And I do mean detonated! It is a weak spot.
The sun shell went out on mine as well. Go for the rebuild. Peace of mind, warranty, ect, ect.

Sucks paying out $1,800 to $2,400, but do you want to do it again couple of miles down the road???
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]