brakes problem

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

cubanfisher
Regular
Regular

brakes problem

Post by cubanfisher »

when i bought my s10 used from a dealer, my brakes always squeeked. when i first got it i asked them about it and they said let them wear a little because theyre new. i waited 300 miles and still squeek. took it not too long aGO and they say the pads are fine. what else can cause this? poor quality pads? (they said they were gm made) and ideas?
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Poor quality pads, "lot rot" (rusted rotors and pads from sitting on a dealership lot), etc. I'd take the wheels off and look at things myself just to be sure they're not trying to pull one over on you.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Is the squeaking coming from the rear? Parking brake shoe is known to score a groove into the drum if not adjusted correctly.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Remove all 4 wheels and spray brake cleaner all over the rotors, and then remove all 8 caliper slide pins, clean them with brake cleaner, coat them with synthetic high temperature brake caliper grease, and reinstall them.

If you have the time I would also remove the pads and inspect them for rocks or other debris that may be imbedded into them which will also cause squeeky brakes. If you decide to remove them I would also coat the backside of each pad with an anti-squeek compound.

As Barch97 mentioned your rear e-brake might be improperly adjusted which can cause the rear brakes to drag.

Steve
cubanfisher
Regular
Regular

Post by cubanfisher »

ill take the wheels off this week some time this week. but i inspected all 4 rotors and theres no grooves or scratches. squeeking in mainly out of the front two. and just to be exact there not dragging. its just squeeking when i come to a slow stop.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Just got mine, same issue.

I figured it was the wear indicator. Took em all off and the pads were fine. it sounded like the rear passanger side squeeking. Sprayed brake cleaner on all of em, it really helped. But the squeek eventually came back, the onet hat was squeek was very dirty. But,, it helped but didnt cure it..
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

If the rotors look good you might try lightly sanding the pads to remove any glaze or embedded material.

Just take a sheet of med or fine sandpaper, lay it on a flat surface, and then rub the pad over it a few times to get a new clean surface. :wink:

Steve