Grease everywhere, balljoints?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

cubanfisher
Regular
Regular

Grease everywhere, balljoints?

Post by cubanfisher »

how to fix them. both of them are bad. almost like if they were over greased and popped.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84/cu ... ljoint.jpg
Last edited by cubanfisher on Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That grease is from your CV boot. Use a worm style clamp to replace the one that came loose after you refill the grease. There are a few threads about that subject.
If the dust boot on the ball joint is torn too (can't tell from pic) , replacement of the balljoint and a new boot too would be my plan of action.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
cubanfisher
Regular
Regular

Post by cubanfisher »

ive closely looked for cracks on the cv boot and nothing cant find anything. the grease look of the same time as what it on the ball joint.

i guess after searching through some threads, that the boot might not need a crack but just a loose clamp and itll start slinging the grease out? am i right? i was hoping that the ball joint poped and spitted all the greae out. the actualt ball joint has a back side that has a bunch of cracks on it and seems like grease has came out of them
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Minor leaks in the ball joint dust boot can be lived with until it needs replacement.
That green opaque grease is CV joint grease. The amount and pattern is indicative of CV boot leakage as well.
Replace the clamp/clamps as needed and be sure to refill the boot.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

I hafta agree with Brule on the CV boot grease. Mine started leaking because the clamp was not tight enough. The boot was fine, it was slinging out between the boot and the housing. Napa had some clamps that I used, CVB 686-5834 and CVB 686-5833.

From what I was able to figure out, GM uses a polyurea based cv boot grease. 99% of what you will find on the shelf is lithium based. That is probably why most new boots instruct you to clean out all the old grease when installing a new boot. That and having the right amount of grease in the boot.

I didn't want to pull the shaft and do it right so I used the only polyurea grease I could find and guessed at the amount. Put a napa clamp on it and it's still going.

If you find a source for polyurea cv boot grease, let me know. The grease I used is just John Deere polyurea gun grease NLGI #2 which is too thick. I think the boot grease is supposed to be #1.5

It's been almost a year now and no problems. I hope this helps.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
cubanfisher
Regular
Regular

Post by cubanfisher »

what do i do after ive estimated how much grease i have lost? do i just shoot it in there with my grease gun? what would i do if i wanted to replace all of it aswell as the boot. i'll probably do it this weekend
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The grease comes in packets. Grease from your grease gun for suspension parts, is different.
You will squeeze in the correct amount.
Boot replacement will require removal of the half shaft. That is why we recommended a worm clamp if the boot is not broken.
Last edited by HenryJ on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Do not use you grease gun unless it has CV grease in it. Just get it as full as you can and throw a large hose clamp on it. Don't jack up the CC by the frame. Use the lower a arm as a jacking point or you will be increasing the angles making it impossible to keep the boot on.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]