clunk up front

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

clunk up front

Post by Cajun »

For weeks I've had a clunking noise associated with the front driver's wheel that corresponds with bumps in the road. I put the truck up on jack stands and tapped/banged everything that could possibly be loose with no luck at reproducing the noise. The brake calibers are tight. Finally I pulled the front shock, Pro Comp, thinking it may be dead. The shock was still charged but the split steel bolt bushing was open about 1/4". I squeeze it closed again with a vise and put it all back together. The clunk is louder. I took down the front shock again to see if the bushing had opened up again and it was still closed. Any ideas guys?
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

Mine was a ball joint (upper) make sure to put the jack under the A arm to check for play.
http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj26 ... int008.flv
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Great video! The ball joints are pretty new, but I'll check it for good measure. The clunk comes in multiples at the frequency of the front wheel moving up and down over bumps.
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

There is also a post about the loose hood hinge? Broken sway bar end link? I'm just thowing out suggestions.
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Ball joints and sway bar are solid and hood hinges tight.

Anyone else have any ideas?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Lube the t-bar sockets and check the dog bones.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

The crunk has developed into a ful blown rattle whenever the driver's side front wheel hits any bump in the road. It sounds like it could be coming from the steering shaft, up high under the brake master cylinder. The engine was too hot to check to night. Will check first thing in the morning.
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

There is definately some play in the steering linkage at the firewall. There is a series of rubber boots in the cab and a boot in the engine compartment that is perventing me from see much.

Anyone know what the connection in the steering column looks like and how best to get to it?

Thanks for your help!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

So you have a column clunk or rattle rather than a suspension clunk?

It may be the lower column bushings. I have seen them worn or loose enough to drop out of place.

It could also be the pot joint, but that does not clunk usually. Just wears and offers slack. If you pull the boot at the firewall , it will expose the pot joint. You might be able to get it loose from the column. Otherwise you are going to end up pulling the column. You might get away with just loosening it too.

If the joint is sloppy , you are probably going to be looking at a new shaft as I don't think they are offering rebuild kits for that joint anymore. If I were doing it , I would look hard at an aftermarket replacement.

Sounds like you have some tearing and looking to do.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Ok...I've got the wheel off and the fender liner out. After that the shaft between the steering box and the fire wall is a snap to remove. The rag joint is good and tight. The slack seems to be in the slip joint at the other end, fire wall. There are no visible signs of wear and it is full of grease. I don't really get it!

Back to the rig. Any suggestings are appreicated.
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

The slip joint is lubed -up and everything is back together...the noise is as loud as ever. The noise from the steering shaft is substainually dampened. I quess it wasn't the steering column.

What next? :?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you have done everything else, have you checked the motor mounts? How about the EGR exhaust tube behind the left cylinder head where the firewall pinchweld comes close to it? I had to tweak mine for clearance.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

good ideas!

I'll crawl back under tomorrow.

Thanks