GREASE EVERYWHERE!!!!

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

blks10
Crew
Crew

GREASE EVERYWHERE!!!!

Post by blks10 »

So I went to change my oil, started looking around while it was draining and saw that both of my lower control arms had grease on inside of them. Not just a little, but a lot. I have never seen so much grease! Anyway, I checked the CV boots, and nether seem to be loose or ripped. Has anyone had an experience like this before?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Look again. If it is green it is CV grease and you have a loose boot.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Turn the wheels to one side and rotate them while looking at the boots. This will expose any cracks that may hide if only looked at static or in the straight ahead position.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Mine looked fine but the passenger side had in fact slipped off.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
blks10
Crew
Crew

Post by blks10 »

Thanks for the advice. I will be checking it out after work today. How do you get the bands off the boots? Do you have to cut them and put new ones on? :?: Thanks!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yes. Dykes. Diagonal Side cutters.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blks10
Crew
Crew

Post by blks10 »

Where can you get those clamps? besides buying a whole new boot kit?
I speaka da english
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My local NAPA carries the screw type clamps. I think there is even a thread with a part number and price IIRC.
The stock crimp clamps will not work to seal a leaking boot. They will only work for a new boot and you will likely be right back here a year from now or less. Also you need a crimping tool to install them and there are several poor ones out there. A good one is hard to find.

Grease everywhere, balljoints?
What type of grease for a CV Joint?
HenryJ wrote:Last year I replaced the inner passenger side CV boot clamp with a worm drive clamp. It had been leaking.
Today during my tire rotation, I noticed the drivers side inner boot had been leaking a little, so picked up another clamp and installed it.
I used a 9/16" width SS band 101mm long. NAPA part # 7051026
It fit just right with no trimming. Cost : $1.69
CV boot damage.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: GREASE EVERYWHERE!!!!

Post by blaz »

So, I guess it is my turn. The drivers CV boot came off and I know that HJ had covered this in a post and I found it! :rock: Only problem is the links in the previous post don"t work. :cry:

I found a reman shaft for $140 and I think I will replace the shaft and fix the boot and have a spare. Is there a step by step for CV axle repacement somewhere?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

blaz wrote:.............Is there a step by step for CV axle repacement somewhere?
There is but, you're gonna hate the answer. I would perform a search here, at ZR2USA.com and S10forum.com.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Why a new shaft? Just put the boot back on.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

I was in some really deep snow and ice and i don't know if any got into the joint. it is -40 here right now so maybe I will just put a hose clamp on it for now. Thanks for the hint. Sometimes I over do things.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

My boot popped off couple years ago. After a 2 1/2 hour drive in the rain, i found it had come off when it was up on a lift. No idea how long it had been off either. I cleaned it up then filled the boot with grease and re-attached. Again, that was a couple years ago and thousands of miles.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My first S-10 has well over 100k on a hose clamp fix. The one I recently sold, probably closing in on 50k miles. There is no guarantee that a new halfshaft will be any better than the one you have now. I think you are getting good advice. If yours is not hurt, fix it.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

DONE! :D Thanks for the input guys. They didn't have hose clamps but they did have CV band clamps so I put one of those on, it was a bit of a PITA but it is "doable". I think I will keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Glad it is fixed. If it is the same as the stock clamps, keep an eye on it. I too tried a crimp on replacement CV band clamp. That worked for a little while before it came loose again. That is when I installed the adjustable hose clamps and ...lived happily ever after.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HJ I'd like to know where you've been able to find clamps that will work for this repair. I tried it on my rig and the clamp screw section will not clear the ball joint stud when it rotates. There is very little room there on mine and the stock band clamps barely clear it.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have been buying them at my local NAPA. I did use a dryer hose clamp from HomeDepot once too. Desperation move.
I too thought they might not clear, but that was not the case. First or second gen seem to both do just fine.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

The last time I had trouble with my left outer I tried a standard hose clamp and it's about a .050" negative situation. I've not been able to find any lower profile clamps either that's why I asked. All I can figure is perhaps the female taper holes in my front housings are oversize from the factory allowing the ball joint studs to penetrate deeper causing my reduced clearance situation. By the way before it's suggested the front ball joints are original as well as the housings they engage and don't appear to have ever been run loose or similar situation that might account for the clearance situation. I bought the truck with 59k on it and know the original owner so am sure there has not been any replacement of the aforementioned items either. In another post I mentioned using zip ties for an emergency repair for loose boots and they barely clear the joint bolt. Not a good repair but when your only alternative they will hold longer than people might think.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Bailing wire could be an emergency fix as well. I don't know the differences of the available clamps. Perhaps hit the hardware store for a suitable clamp?
All my balljoints have been replaced at some point in time. Maybe that is the difference? Dunno :shrug:
I would not give up. Maybe you can gently file some clearance?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Perhaps. I'd considered getting after the stud's exposed above the nut section with a cutoff wheel but access is difficult at best without dis-assembly. In the process of my axle boot problems I have learned it is possible to replace the passenger side half-shaft without complete dis-assembly of the knuckle etc. It is possible to dis-assemble down to the knuckle by removing the hub bearing assy and at that point with the knuckle in the straight ahead position to tap the inner shaft end loose from the front diff extension. The shaft inner end will clear the housing by collapsing the shaft into itself with the suspension unloaded and the knuckle in the straight ahead position. I have done this twice on my truck. Not a lot of fun but easier than taking the knuckle loose etc.