Popping in front end

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

kxracer
Crew
Crew

Popping in front end

Post by kxracer »

Before someone says search, I did. I think it may be my ball joints, but it doesn't sound like I have the same problem most others do. Sometimes (not all the time) when I turn, I get one fairly loud pop. It is far more likely to happen when the suspension is flexed a little bit and the wheels are turned sharp, such as pulling up into a driveway. Also, if I get on my brakes hard enough, such as when you stop to not hit a deer, it will sometimes pop then to. It only pops once per time, so IDK what it is. Any help would be appreciated.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Is it possible you are catching the tire on the inner fender well or flair? What size tires/mods to the suspension have you done? With my setup I get that pop sound if I flex the drivers side tire up to the top of it's travel in the wheel well and the tire catches the flair, it even broke a piece out at one point.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Lube the t-bar sockets.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Lube the t-bar sockets.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

Thanks guys, I will do that. I wanted to get that fixed before I cranked the T-bars, I figured it was more serious.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

on the topic of lubing the TB..

Searched and I didnt see any thing.. excuse the terminology. The round bar that runs from TB adjustment to the bracket on the drivers side.... where it goes into that block or whatever,,, theres like,, yellow grease all round the opening, but its not liek that on the drivers side. Not sure it was there before the TB crank.

Any ideas? or nothing at all? Ment to take a pciture of exactly what I am talking about, but forgot to.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:on the topic of lubing the TB..

Searched and I didnt see any thing.. excuse the terminology. The round bar that runs from TB adjustment to the bracket on the drivers side.... where it goes into that block or whatever,,, theres like,, yellow grease all round the opening, but its not liek that on the drivers side. Not sure it was there before the TB crank.

Any ideas? or nothing at all? Ment to take a pciture of exactly what I am talking about, but forgot to.
What is the question?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ wrote:
fallvitals wrote:on the topic of lubing the TB..

What is the question?
My question was, is that normal? Just doesnt seem right to have some sort of yellow grease lined around that opening, and not the other side?

Im assuming its normal from your response?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Lube them all.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I just went out and snapped that. Its the torsion bar, going into the control arm.

Forgive my ignorance on this, but where do you lube "them all" at? Only thing I know to lube is the grease fittings up front..? :oops:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yes. Yours are dry. Lube them.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Hm, when I rotated my tires I gave them all a good greasing less then 2K ago. Doing a oil change shortly and lubbing them again.

Replaced two of the zerks with 90o zerks. those had probably never been lubed.. but every thing was greased...

ImageImage
Im not seeing any grease fitting here that would put grease on the back of the control arm where the torsion bar goes into, like I pictured above? :?:
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

fallvitals wrote:Hm, when I rotated my tires I gave them all a good greasing less then 2K ago. Doing a oil change shortly and lubbing them again.

Replaced two of the zerks with 90o zerks. those had probably never been lubed.. but every thing was greased...

ImageImage
Im not seeing any grease fitting here that would put grease on the back of the control arm where the torsion bar goes into, like I pictured above? :?:
I just sprayed white lithium grease down into that opening around the torsion bars (what you had a pic of). I don't think there are any zerks. IDK, I searched google and that is how others were doing it.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Nope it just gets squeezed into the sockets right where the bars enter the arms
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Ohh, gotcha. Thanks, I was lost there for a second, lol. Sounds like that will be a messy job. How often should that greasing be done? Every oil change?
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

when it's dry or the noise comes back. I would simply check at each oil change.
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

I have an 01 CC and it does the same thing. It had 65,000 miles on it last year when i got it. I had all four ball joints replaced with Moog joints shortly after, and I only have 75,000 on it now. So I'm pretty sure its not my ball joints. Like Kxracer, my truck only seems to pop when I get on the brakes hard or when I turn sharply. It will almost always pop when backing up with the wheel turned all the way to the right. I crawled under it earlier this week and shot lithium grease into the T-bar sockets with a needle on my grease gun. That didn't seem to help with the popping at all. My mechanic said he couldn't find anything wrong with my suspension, as did my alignment guy. So as of right now, I'm just going to drive it unless it gets worse. I don't know what is causing it, but I think it is related to the T-bars. I would like to get it fixed though.
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

I had this happen when my upper control arm bushings went bad. Had them replaced at 60,ooo miles and now at 114,ooo the noise is back. I have wear on the outer edge of my L/front tire. So I figured the problem is back again. .
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Popping in front end

Post by fallvitals »

Well im in the same boat. I spray white lithium grease into my t-bars, I never notice a differance. I have a lot of popping going on. Even when I apply the brakes, it will pop a few times up front before coming to a start, turning the wheel at little/no speed, itll pop a few times. When I was offroading with my buddy this weekend it was so bad at times when flexing that he was making faces like "wtf?"... he was hearing it over my truck, his atv, and helmet... I guess just run it till something falls off, lol.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

In my girlfriends car I noticed her 08 cobalt made similier noises when turning. Which I never noticed before till i listened... But mine is more noticeable.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Popping, check the ball joints.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Another source of popping sounds on the S-series is because the t-bar crossmember is a floating design supported by 2 hangers with rubber mounts. When one t-bar is compressed more than the other the whole crossmember will move to one side and make contact with the frame. If the rubber bushings are worn out or not tightened down enough the crossmember will make a popping sound when it hits the frame. This problem is only made worse when you crank the t-bars up. The full size 4x4's have a fixed t-bar crossmember and don't have this problem.

Steve