Steering help if you don't mind

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Steering help if you don't mind

Post by MoJoe »

Ok, I am trying to self diagnose a steering noise. The best way to describe it would be like having your steering wheel locked hard in either direction and there is a strain on the steering (hissing/moaning sound).

It happens now every day in normal driving conditions. When I make a slow turn into a parking spot, or into my driveway, etc under normal steering conditions, it makes the noise through the entire turn, not just at full lock.

Is it the pump, gear box, both? I did a fluid flush and greased all the front components I could, and it still exists. Next step sounds like new parts.
Joey
4WD Crew Cab, just not an S-10 anymore ;)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Joey, are you positive of

1. Is it full? Sorry but, we all overlook simple items.
2. Did you use the fluids recommended in your owners manual?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

f9k9 wrote:Joey, are you positive of

1. Is it full? Sorry but, we all overlook simple items.
2. Did you use the fluids recommended in your owners manual?
On the fluid yes, it was right on the full mark before and after flushing it. It all started a few days after I installed the flaming river joint. I had to tap the joint on with a dead blow on the gear box side. Nothing hard, just light taps.

On the fluid, I am using a GM approved fluid accoding to the label :?: I of course should know better than to always believe what I read, but I think I am safe there.
Joey
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Sounds like you may have messed up the gears or at least changed how they are meshing.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I am at a loss, as well. Fell blessed that you know when it started. Keep us posted, please.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

Will do, I am going to take it into a shop and have their "opinion" on it; see what they think. I take their diag and just fix the issues myself.

I feel bad sometimes by doing that, but it saves me 95% of the time from troubleshooting it myself and maybe getting it wrong.

Granted they are not always right, but more time than not.
Joey
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Belt???
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

roadrunner wrote:Belt???
Definately not the standard belt noise, but I did not think that could be an option for the problem, I will inspect the belt just incase. Thanks.
Joey
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Try adjusting the scepter shaft and see if that makes a change in the sound/feel. Loosen it to relieve any load on center. If that does make a difference, I think I would start shopping for a steering box. If it does not, then a pump may be in your future? They are known to disintegrate without regard to finances.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

Will check the belt and try the adjustment tomorrow before I bother taking it in to my shop. Thanks.
Joey
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Funny, I too have noticed my steering pump making the same noise after the flaming river mod! The sound doesn't really bother me but mine is doing it as well, don't feel alone. I like to pretend its a Ford, they are known for steering sounds just as our rigs are with fuel pump buzzing!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Boy sounds like the FLAMINGRIVER mod is the way to go!! Any other YES votes on this one ? :lol: :!: 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The sound you describe usually indicates a pump starting to go bad. :wink:

You would have to beat the gear box shaft pretty hard to do any damage, but it is possible.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Maybe you are hearing it more now since there is no isolator in the shaft and the sound is being transferred?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

That was my thought as well HJ, I just like to think that it is more efficient! The sound is not different whether the window is open or closed on my rig, just inside the cab. I noticed the sound RIGHT after doing the mod, so I don't think its a real issue with the gear box and going bad. I still stick by my previous statement that this mod is best combined with the ZQ8 quick ratio steering box.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

Well so much for more TS today. The noise is gone after straight multiple weeks of this. I am not sure who/what/when/where/why, but I am going to keep a close eye on it. How ironic for it to stop after starting a thread... :lol: Doubt it will last, but who knows. Will keep everyone posted after I go to work in the AM.
Joey
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Dude! Don't feel bad about the thread and disappearance of the issue. My blinky ses light gremlins are still hiding from me and my ever present scanner. Just continue to monitor the situation. If I had a buck for every time someone came into my shop with a problem that wouldn't present at the time I could've retired years ago.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

Ok, it is back. Will start checking things this weekend. I am going to change my oil and the belt anyways.
Joey
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Maybe just jack the front wheels up and turn the steering to see if the pump still howls with no load.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

Just a follow-up: Still having issues from time to time. I am going to replace my belt and have the system bled. If that does nothing, I will replace the gear box and pump. I am also removing the u-joint mod when/if I replace the gear box and pump. :?:

Additional info: I have zero issues when first starting the truck (steering cold). No noise or strain. So could this be the system overheating?
Joey
s10 again
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by s10 again »

I think I would jack up the front end as HJ suggested. This will give you a chance to check it under no load as well as check for any binding in the steering components and ball joints. And yes it is possible to over heat the steering but I don't think thats what is going on. Does your return line look like it might be leaking any? I ask because if so it could suck air into the pump.

Chris.
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

I have checked the lines, and they do not appear to be leaking. I also jacked the front end up a while back and tested it as suggested, but that was with the truck and steering cold. I will try it again after running it for a few miles.
Joey
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I do not recall seeing or coming across a good power steering flush write up. I have tried to remove as much PS steering fluid with the bosses ex turkey baster and adding new fluid afterward every chance that I get. It seems to help or, at least, makes me feel better. I am not dealing with the mileage that most of you have on your rigs though.
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

Ok, jacked the front end up when I got home and tested the steering. No issues while in the air, and nothing appears to be binding.

I have to find a trust worthy mechanic to take a look at it. Maybe they will tell me I am hearing things and all is fine :?:
Joey
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

Installed the factory lower shaft with the rag joint and the noise issue is solved.

HenryJ called it right when is mentioned the noise dampening properties of the rag joint. After a little research that is one of the rag joints purposes.

Still feels like I might be having some other issues, but I am going to ensure everything is greased and happy before dumping a lot of money. Glad the noise is gone...
Joey
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Looks like some things are better off left unimproved. 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN