Throwing Engine Code P0102

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

clschoel

Throwing Engine Code P0102

Post by clschoel »

Just the other day I was driving home from work and my check engine light turned on. Shortly after my RPM dropped off and I couldn't keep up speed. It felt as if my truck was just bogging down. So I just took it easy the rest of the way home going about 30MPH. The next day I took it over to Advance Auto and used their OBDII reader. I discovered that it was my MAF (Max Air Flow) sensor. So a paid about $100 for a new one and replaced it while I was in the parking lot. I took it for a test drive, but my truck still did not have power. The check engine light came on again, but this time it was "P0102 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Circuit - Low Frequency Detected" Does anyone know what I should do next? Please help
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would check for a poor battery connection. Many codes will set do to unexpected voltage.

Clean the terminals and make sure the bolt is short enough to tighten the cable to the battery. Test the battery to make sure it is good and fully charge it before use if needed.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
clschoel

Post by clschoel »

I checked the battery and the connections are good. I even left it disconnected for 30min to reset the codes. But it didn't do anything. And still have loss of power. I hope this is not a major problem. :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Make sure you disconnect both the positive and negative cables. It may just be superstition on my part, but the capacitors in the system can do funny stuff.

What make model and year are you working on? Any mods?

Triple check all the connections. Check for damaged wiring.

Our trucks are getting old enough now that brittle wiring may start to rear its ugly head. I am already finding it in the 2004 fullsize.
OBD-Codes.com wrote:P0102 OBD-II Trouble Code
Technical Description

Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Low Input
What does that mean?

Basically this means that there is a problem with the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor or circuit. A more technical description would be that the MAF circuit had lower than expected voltage (air flow).

You will likely not notice any serious drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a general decrease in power or sluggishness.
Causes

A code P0102 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* The MAF may be disconnected, or a wiring connection may be bad
* The MAF may be dirty or otherwise contaminated (Note: if you use a reusable oiled air filter, be careful not to apply too much oil or that can contaminate the MAF).
* The MAF sensor may be faulty
* The vehicle computer may be faulty (very rare)

Possible Solutions

The simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back. Then start with the cheapest, easiest repair procedures:

* Verify that the Mass Air Flow Sensor wiring is connected properly and that there are no broken / frayed wires.
* Inspect for any air leaks near the MAF sensor.
* Take the MAF out and clean it using a spray cleaner. Be gentle with the sensor.
* Check the voltage of the MAF sensor
* Replace the MAF sensor.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It could be a "relearn" could it not?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

that code came up on my truck and it was the MAF sensor and i had to replace it.