Another hub thread

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Another hub thread

Post by Jongo88 »

On the way home yesterday my right hub started talking to me...
I ordered two hubs and four ball joints today.
I jacked it up and the pass side has a little play in it. It don't make noise when I turn it by hand.
I drive 40 miles round trip to work four day's a week and I need it to last two weeks.
Do you all think it will make it?
Will the wheel come off? What happens when it goes? I think it will be ok but I don't know. I don't want to wreck it or anything...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There is no way we can say for sure. No play is permissible. The safe bet is to fix it or walk.

It would be very surprising if the wheel could come all the way off. The rotor would have to get past the caliper. Not really an option without some major damage.

Keep in mind that the loose hub is damaging you brake pads, rotor and who knows what else. You may be able to "get by" , but at the cost of more parts perhaps.

You gotta do what you gotta do. Just be aware of the consequences.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I know... But.. I don't like the China made hubs they have around here.
I'm going to do brake pads, Hubs, cv shafts and upper and lower ball joints all at the same time. If I have to buy a rotor too, oh well. I'm going to check it every day. If it gets to bad I will have to so something else.
The play it has now is not bad at all. BUT it has play...
Last edited by Jongo88 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have seen them VERY bad. Our guys will run them until even the "anti-rattle cloaking device" (radio) is not effective in covering up the noise.

You will probably be fine keeping an eye on it until you can get it fixed.

I'm surprised that you are replacing the half shafts. Were all the boots gone?

Sounds like your plate is full. Did you check the idler and pitman? Those are another $100 ;)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I messed up the cv boots myself. I tweeked the t bars just a little to much then went four wheelin and they got full of mud. I was going to wait until winter to change them out with the ball joints but the hub want let me...
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Oh by the way.
I bought Synergy Offroad hubs and Power performance ball joints...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I haven't tried them. Let us know what you think.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I found out about the hubs here... They say made in the USA...
I had the ball joints on my old Blazer for years and never replaced them again. The Blazer had 240,000 miles on it when I sold it. it is still going today.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Just an update.. I made the round trip to work today. No change in the play or noise..
Here is a picture before the wheel comes off...
http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq28 ... 1251415833
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Just another update.. My parts came in Tuesday. I got home from work at 4:00 and started the job. I replaced the front diff seals and cv shafts new upper and lower ball joints and new hubs and to top it all off new brakes.
Drove it to work Wednesday and I hear a grinding comming from the back. Now what is going on?? Well on break I go out and jack up the back and put it in gear and the right wheel bearing is bad.
So I call napa to see if they have a axle kit in stock and they do. On the way home I stop by napa to pick it up. I get a gasket oil and the kit and go home. I jack up the truck put it on jack stands and take it apart. The axle is trash. I pull the new axle out of the open box and it is the wrong axle. Now I load up in the Jimmy head back to napa and they don't have any more. So I have to go to another store an hour away. Well two hours later I'm back home. I get the old bearing and seal out and now it starts poring. I mean poring. I have to have my truck so I keep going. I get the new bearing in and the new seal slide the axle in get under the truck in 3 inches of water to do the rest. Now it is done and nice and quiet...
So never but anything in a open box!!!!
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

i think i have the same problem that your having.
i think my passenger side rear axle bearing is going.
i get this weird sound when turning right. its not the hubs because i just changed them both last week.
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Sorry to hear that. If you think the bearing is bad and you have been driving it for awile you will need a axle kit. In this kit is a new axle, bearing, seal and new studs. You will need to get two things of oil and a new gasket. It takes about a hour to do the job if you get the right kit to start with...
Tools needed is a 15mm wrinch to remove the calaper a 13mm socket to take the cover off. An 8mm to remove the lock pin. A slide hammer to remove the bearing. A large socket to install the bearing and a BFH.
A scraper to clean the old gasket off the cover and the rearend. If you think it is getting time for brakes now is the time to change them.
Good luck.
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

how much did the axle kit set you back?
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Everything was 255.00