Engine taps when started

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

microsvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Engine taps when started

Post by microsvc »

Sometimes, not always, when I start my truck (4.3) the engine taps as if it is not getting oil, (the sound it makes when its first started after an oil change), but clears up within a few seconds and occasionally I hear one tap for a minute, then it stops.

I have observed my oil pressure gage and the pressure builds to 50 or so immediately.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
~Bob
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Try a different oil filter if you are running a bargain brand. The anti drain back valve may not be doing its job.
A Seafoam treatment for the engine oil and intake would be a good idea next time too. That will flush the deposits , clean out some varnish and clean the carbon off the pistons.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Tapping at start up usually indicates one or more sticking lifters. Seafoam in the oil may help remove the varnish that is causing the lifter/s to stick. Are you using regular dino oil? Synthetic oil will keep the engine much cleaner due to the high detergent content and far superior resistance to thermal break down. A switch to synthetic oil may be enough by itself to free up the varnish and gum that is causing the lifter/s to stick. :wink:

Steve
microsvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by microsvc »

The engine was doing this prior to my most recent oil change. I am using a Fram oil filter and Penzoil 5w30.

What is this Seafoam and how does it work?
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Here we go ! I read the F brand. For shame!! :shock: :!: :alert: :nono: :crazy:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Fram filters use paper end caps on the filter media. The rubber anti drain back valve is expected to seal to this. It really doesn't work very well.
Try Wix, Napa GOLD or another brand that use a silicone anti drain back valve.
There is a good thread on that around here.

Try a search for Seafoam and you should find all you want to know.

I would bet the filter change alone will solve your problem.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK