Question on front axle shaft bearings and seals

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Question on front axle shaft bearings and seals

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

Are the beaings and seals where the axle shafts connect to the differential the same on both sides? The driver's side slips directly into the "chunk" where as the passenger side slips into a tube. Is there a snap ring that holds the shaft in? Can it be replaced?
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

There is a snap ring on the cv shaft and the little axle shaft on the pass side. Most likley the little shaft will come out with the cv shaft.
Does this help?
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Yes it does and I have apart already. I've even removed the "tube" to replace the leaking seal and check the needle bearing. The gear lube oil that's in the diff is grey in color. It shouldn't be should it?
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Gray or brown? Probably needs changed anyway! IIRC the drain plug has a magnet on it to check for shavings.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

It is grey and pretty thick. Maybe just the color of the lubricant that was used??
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC