Coolant flush

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

s10 again
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Coolant flush

Post by s10 again »

Ok guys trying to get caught up on maintenance my truck my or may not have had. I just had my trans flushed today what a difference. Changed oil a couple of weeks ago. I have had some of the stuff to flush the cooling system now I'm going to get a new radiator cap and thermostat. But I have a couple of questions.

1. I have read up on here and some of you are adding the flush solution then driving a while before flushing the system. Is that the best way to do this. If so how long should one drive once flush is added? I flushed my Extreme and just put a dime in the throttle stop and ran it for 30 min. But It was not as clean as I would have liked to see it. The dex in that poor truck was like mud. But It never overheated on me. My crew just looks bad but is not mud yet.

2. I saw on here post about radiator caps was there ever a consensus on which cap was best. And what thermostat would be the best one. I would like to run a little cooler but I know a cooler T-stat might lead to over heating. How cool can we get away with.

Thanks.
Chris.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Most flush solutions will tell you how long they should be run in the system, I suspect each brand you find will be different. If the Dex has gone south it may take a couple of flushes with the solution to get all the crud and you really want that all out. Remember to flush the heater core as well (run the heat) As for t-stat the stock 195 is the only one that will guarantee no SES light. Some get away with a 180 but any lower and you will set a code. Make sure you follow the correct procedure to refill system so you don't leave an air pocket in the system getting all the air out of the heater core can be a pain.

The radiator cap we mostly use is the Stant cap with the pressure relief valve.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

i got the prestone kit, flushed the dex out. ran it till clear. I cant recall what the flushing bottle said, but i ran it for about 120 miles. flushe dit out, looked good, put green in it. Just make sure to keep an eye on the coolant level seems to be lots of ait packets that the coolant finds its way into after the flush and lowers the coolant level. I put a stand cap on mine, had one on my old s-10 also.
s10 again
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by s10 again »

Thanks, I think I saw 2 or three different caps Stant & NAPA being debated. Just wondering if one of those is better than the others.

I did some searching and was hoping to find a 190-185 T-stat but no luck. I know someone use to make them for sport/pony cars. So I'm thinking I will throw in another 195. A cooler one would not help much without a tuner and some other upgrades as well anyhow. Is there any better 195 thermostats or is it just stay away from the cheap ones.

I can't wait to start upgrading and customizing. But so far it's all been maintenance except for a few bucks to have front windows tinted.

Chris.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I don't know but, I went to a 180 JET stat and have had zero problems. Even at 98 degrees outside and AC running full tilt it stayed below 195 on the gauge and my oil pressure went up to constant 50 lbs. when at hiway speed and hot. 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I run a 180 with no problems... But I live in Florida.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!