rear differential broken teeth

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

JCchevyzr5

rear differential broken teeth

Post by JCchevyzr5 »

Hey guys I have a 2004 ZR5 s-10 with about 95,000 miles on it. The rear differential recently started locking up on me out of the blue while making right or left hand turns. Got into the rear end to find that a few of the teeth on the gear that is splined to the clutch pack were broke off. Was wanting to know what the best option would be. Would it be cost worthy to rebuild it or would it just be better to buy a true locking diff.(Detroit or what ever would be best suggested)? What do y'all think?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Can the gears be replaced at a reasonable cost? I know a used differential can be quite affordable.

How long do you plan to keep it? What do you want to do with it?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
JCchevyzr5

Post by JCchevyzr5 »

I plan to keep my truck for a good long while! Right now I am using it for a daily driver right now and the occasional weekend outing (hunting, fishing and etc.). I bougt the truck as a repo from the bank and I know it wasn't taken very good care of before that. What mileage would be best to buy a used differential at?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If they were taken care of then 150k miles or less would be nice.
Pop the cover and look. Those that didn't heed our warning about the vent tube problem may have filled them with water.
A quick inspection will tell the tale.
Given a choice and in the same situation, I would be upgrading mine to the 8.5" ZR2 rear axle.
Price as a deciding factor, I might just pick up a used carrier for $100 or so and swap them. Very little to lose there.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
JCchevyzr5

Post by JCchevyzr5 »

Thanks that info helps a lot I will have to check out that warning about the vent tube.