whining noise

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

gdjc86

whining noise

Post by gdjc86 »

hey all just got an 03 s10 crewcab..i love the thing fully loaded to the max bought it with 64,000 miles. i have been noticing some things though...the truck runs awesome but,when i am driving on the highway going over 55 i start to hear a whining noise,when i tap the gas the whining goes to the tapping of the gas peddel (if that makes any sense) i am wondering what this is. 2nd is there a 4x4 light that should come on when its in 4 wheel drive? when i hit the button to go to 4x4 the little light comes on but there is no dash light the 4x4 works awesome though,is there sappose to be a dash light? thank you all. i wanna know whats wrong so i can give the dealer a heads up. its still covered.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Where is the whining coming from? Is it the engine. Does it do it stationary? You are going to have to narrow it down. There are many possibilities:

buzzer noise coming from underneath truck???
speaker noise
noise from truck
uh-oh!....... high pitch whine in rear end

There is no 4x4 dash light. Just the lights on the switch.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Not to mention the little whining noise that comes from the fan in the radio even when turned off. That one wouldn't vary with engine rpm though.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
gdjc86

Post by gdjc86 »

it does not do it when it is stationary. and yes it is coming from the rear end not the engine i havta be going about 55 to 70 MPH to hear it when just around 30 to 40 i dont hear anything
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Change the rear differential fluid. The condition may tell the tale. If there is water in it, read up on relocating the vent tube.
Check the U-joints and brakes while you are there.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Given what you've said so far I think I'd check into the rear differential. The very least would be remove rear cover and change rear end grease. Also a must if grease is contaminated (water) look at the thread on here on relocating the differential vent hose. Many have had problems with that. While checking rear end check for excessive pinion backlash or any side-play in the yoke at the differential. These would be indications more repair is needed in the rear end.

The other possible/likely check is the transfer-case lube level. If too high trans is leaking through the rear seal. If too low 4x4 vacuum switch may be pulling it out and into the vacuum system given no external leaks are obvious. There are good threads here on both of these subjects.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

roadrunner wrote:The very least would be remove rear cover and change rear end grease. Also a must if grease is contaminated (water) look at the thread on here on relocating the differential vent hose.
You meant gear oil not grease, right? :poke:

I wonder what would happen if the rear end was full of grease? :?:

Just messing with ya. :wink:

Steve
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

killian96ss wrote: You meant gear oil not grease, right? :poke:
Yeah Yeah. Funny guy. Many older repair manuals don't refer to it as rear end gear oil but as rear end grease. I guess you'd have to consult a lubricant manufacturer to determine where the break in weight is that starts it being called "grease" as opposed to oil. :roll: Personally for me oil goes in the engine fluid goes in the tranny (automatic) and transfer case and grease goes in the front and rear differentials on our trucks. :wink: 8)
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Yeah ! What the Roadrunner said. :lol: 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

roadrunner wrote:rear end grease. :wink: 8)
OK I'm gonna apologize ahead of time, but I can't help this one :D

Ain't "rear end grease" the stuff you use on babies for "diaper rash"?

LOL
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Technically no Wiley. That stuff is usually more of a paraffin type grease. (Vaseline) Guess the "funny guys are out in force lately. Been too many years since I had to smear a baby's behind but I do remember. har har

EDIT: Before some other "funny guy" brings it up "rear end grease" as I was referring to it does not mean preparation H either. Hardy Har Har!