Transfer case in continuously engaged.

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

rick
Crew
Crew

Transfer case in continuously engaged.

Post by rick »

I believe my transfer case is continuously engaged, 2003 CC. It shifts in and out of 4 wheel drive ok and the axles engage. Is there something I can disconnect to troubleshoot the problem? Don't want to drive it around like that till I can get the right part.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Tour transfer case is always engaged with the rear wheels. What leads you to believe that the front diff is engaged?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

I thought the transfer case engages and disengages with a switch. I have been getting a drag or sluggish feel to the drivetrain that is is being overworked
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I'd say look elsewhere for your sluggish problem. If you are sure the front axle dis-engages then the transfer case would have to be in 2 wheel drive. The switch simply tells the shift motor (located on the transfer case) which position to go to. Then the motor shifts it there and activates the vacuum switch if 4 wheel drive is selected (hi or lo) which in turn activates the vacuum pod and cable assy at the front to shift the axle into 4 wheel drive. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

It is possible that your front diff is disengaged while your transfer case is stuck in 4 hi because of a bad encoder motor. :?
This means that the front driveshaft is turning while you are driving and it would make the truck feel like it has lost some power.
Just because the front diff is not engaged does not mean that the transfer case is in 2 hi. :wink:
I had two encoder motors and one 4x4 switch go bad while I had my CC.
One of those failures left me in 4 hi.

Steve
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Not to start a fight Steve but I don't see how the transfer case can be in either 4wd position without activating the vac switch (manually activated internally by the t-case) to engage the front axle. I too have had two encoder motors go bad as well as the dash switch, front indicator light, and the t-case vac switch not to mention the tccm. I have the factory manuals for my truck as well and see no way your stated situation can exist without some sort of physical breakage in the t-case rendering it non-operational. Not calling you a liar but I would need a technical explanation that makes sense to be convinced what you say is possible. Larry
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

When the encoder motor engages the t-case it also engages the t-case vacuum switch which engages the front diff vacuum pot which engages the front diff.
If the t-case vacuum switch or front diff vaccum pot are broken or not working properly, the front diff will not be engaged.
If the t-case is stuck in 4 hi because of a bad 4x4 dash switch or bad encoder motor and there is a failure in the front diff vacuum system, it is entirely possible that the t-case is enaged without the front diff being engaged.
Anything is possible with GM vehicles! :lol:

Steve