Faint coolant odor

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

microsvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Faint coolant odor

Post by microsvc »

Every time I shut off the engine and get out of the truck, I smell a faint odor of antifreeze/coolant.
I sometimes have to add coolant to the overflow tank, but not often.

Recently the intake manifold gasket leaked bad and I had it replaced, and I was hopeful that was the cause of the odor (a small leak that just got worse), but this expensive repair did not stop the odor.

I cannot locate a slow leak no matter how hard I look.

Suggestions?
Thanks!
~bOb
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Faint coolant odor

Post by 04crewvt »

I would first check carefully around the thermostat housing. On mine the slight leak was dripping onto a hot part and vaporizing so it was very hard to find. You could also go to the dealership and get the UV dye they can add to the system to check for leaks but it would require you to have a black light to look for the leak.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
microsvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by microsvc »

04crewvt wrote:I would first check carefully around the thermostat housing. On mine the slight leak was dripping onto a hot part and vaporizing so it was very hard to find. You could also go to the dealership and get the UV dye they can add to the system to check for leaks but it would require you to have a black light to look for the leak.
The thermostat housing sounds like a good place to stare, but when the intake gasket was replaced, I gave them a new thermostat/gasket to install since the engine was running colder than it should was running cold. I'll check for cracks in the housing while its running over the weekend.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Head gasket leak :?: ???
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

I too have a coolant odor, seems like I am smelling it more, have to add to over flow every few weeks, A year ago my local shop told me i need a new lower intake gasket i think and quoted me $700 to do it, I am thinking this is my problem how hard to replace the gasket?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

That doesn't sound fun. I had a similer issue in my old 97 2wd 4.3 s-10. Except it was in the cab. I noticed on a few occasions, on the passnager side, anti freeze leaked in the cab, on the passanger side of the (transmission) hump. I never did a thing about it.. :oops: but it only happened a few times. Coincidently i mistakingly tore apart the dash once to get to the heater core, which I think is where my leak woulda been from, and it was fine..... :blink: :blink:
s-10chef

Post by s-10chef »

it is the lower intake manifold gasket if it ever has a small pool under the truck, it leaks towards the back. My buddy and i did it in 5 hours and only cost me 60 bucks in supplies