problems in overdrive

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

problems in overdrive

Post by PATRICKH »

Hey guys, any ideas on what would cause a, I guess you would call it a surging or I guess it could evenbe a slipping sensation in overdrive at about 60 to 70 mph. Mainly on accleration, ( i downshift to 3rd) but also noticed it on the drive home tonight while at speed.

Fluid level looks ok, does not smell burnt and still looks red, not brown. Am I going to have to take this thing back to the shop again? :x
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: problems in overdrive

Post by 04crewvt »

I would get it in the shop FAST to have it checked out. A slipping OD is often the sign of these transmissions about to go out but with luck it might just need a filter change or a valve body replacement. Once it throws the gear plan on a 2000-2500 rebuild.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

From our stock information: Common failures for the 4L60E

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Going to try the filter change this weekend. Trans was rebuilt about 15,000 miles ago. $1,900. If that does not help, going to the shop. AGAIN.............Guess that is expected for 150,000 miles.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Did you get a warranty on the rebuild? if so I would have them check it first so they don't say you caused a problem when changing fluid. I debated and spent the extra $300 to stretch the warranty of the 4L60E I just had rebuilt for my Tahoe to 3yr/36K, the standard warranty would have been 12Mo/12K we will see if it was worth the extra.
At that price for a rebuild I wonder if they did not go through every wear part and replace but did a visual inspection and replaced only the currently bad parts and reused the rest, it is possible they missed something that was going bad but not yet bad enough to show.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Are you guys including labor in the prices you have stated :?: Brand new seems reasonable and comes with a good warranty, 36 months or 100,000 miles

Transmission Assembly 4L60-E 19156259
Item #19156259
19156259 Transmission Assembly 4L60-E
MSRP: $1,996.80 Your Price: $1,747.44

http://www.rockenbachchevy.com/?http:// ... index.aspx
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Yes the price I paid with fully rebuilt tranny (AAMCO), labor, and extended warranty was just a hair over $2500. This was with upgraded valve body, servos, sun shell, internal gears, torque converter ect. Split down it was 299 for the torque converter, 300 for warranty, 1765 for complete rebuild and install.
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Thanks for the feedback. One more question on this, do you think a faulty TPS could cause this problem. (My check engine light is on, but its that annoying P410 or 401 code.)

The idle is fine and I have not had a chance to get with the dad in law to use his scanner, but what do ya think?