Stuck in 4wd high. (Solved)

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Stuck in 4wd high. (Solved)

Post by BADs Crew »

I drove the S Crew to the store today and found that it is stuck in 4wd high. What are your thoughts? Vacuum switch? The better half is a crossing gaurd for the school system so I got to get this fixed tomorow so she can take it to work on Monday!! Help!!

Edit: Here's what I know so far. The 4wd high light is on. If I push the 2wd button or ever 4wd low it won't switch over. When I start the truck the light will come on so I know the bulb is good. I just went out and checked the fuse and it’s good. I'm thinking I will start with pulling the switch and by passing it to see if it's bad. After that I'm stumped, I've never had a 4wd problem with the 2nd generation S-10 so I'm not to sure how it all works. I knew my 85 S-10 inside and out. My truck is a 2001 if it makes a difference
Last edited by BADs Crew on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Stuck in 4wd high.

Post by killian96ss »

Are you sure it's in 4wd? The dash switch might be misleading you. If you are stuck in 4hi, my guess would be a bad encoder motor or faulty dash switch. I had the same problem 2x when I had my CC. One failure was caused by a bad encoder motor, and the other was a messed up dash switch. You might find some useful info in the Transfer Case Codes topic in the same section.

Steve
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Stuck in 4wd high.

Post by BADs Crew »

I fixed it!! I found the 4wd module behind the passenger side kick panel and unplugged it. Waited a min and plugged it back in and everything is working again. I'm not sure what caused the problem but I'm glad it didn't cost me anything to get it repaired. :rock:
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Stuck in 4wd high. (Solved)

Post by BADs Crew »

I just found the module on GM Parts Direct. Part number 12577412, $305.10 !!!. I think I'll hit a bone yard when the weather gets better and pick one up just in case.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Hey Bads you need to read this recent thread for more information on your problem before you go out and buy a new module for your truck -- Is it in 4wd really?*solved (reset tcase module) -- Much good relevant info there for you. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

roadrunner wrote:Hey Bads you need to read this recent thread for more information on your problem before you go out and buy a new module for your truck -- Is it in 4wd really?*solved (reset tcase module) -- Much good relevant info there for you. 8)
Yes I read it after my last post. I read part of it yesterday before my problem surfaced but couldn't relate the two issues because I didn’t see mention of his 4wd high indicator light being constantly lit.
After solving my problem I re-read the post and somewhat understand the issue, but at $305 for a new module I’ll still grab one when I have the chance. Bone yards around here let thing like that go for $5.00 when you pull them yourself. Thanks for the information.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Hey Bads ya might check e-bay as well. I got a spare one from there reasonable a while back. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

roadrunner wrote:Hey Bads ya might check e-bay as well. I got a spare one from there reasonable a while back. 8)
Thanks for the tip, I'll do that. :thumb: