crew making new noise hard to describe

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

crew making new noise hard to describe

Post by bradjh »

The other morning the truck started to make a noise kind of similar to when the hvac blower motor went out but it is coming from back where you fill the oil and right by where the air comes up to the top of the engine from the filter tube, It mainly does it at idle, and when you drop it in gear it stops.. Its kind of like a grinding sound like an electric motor or something when it needs brushes? any ideas anything i can check out?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: crew making new noise hard to describe

Post by killian96ss »

I believe the most common noise from that area is when the PCV valve vibrates against the throttle cable which transmits the noise to the cab. Grinding noises aren't good, so hopefully this is all that's wrong.

Steve
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

still have the noise know it does it when i start to accelerate and not idle it is driving me crazy and i cannot pin point the sound... do i need a new pcv valve or to clean it?
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

PCV valves can be cleaned so they move freely if it is sticking, they also run about $3.99 or so at most auto parts stores. Your choice.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

ok more info on sound, it seems to be coming from a spark plug looking boot thing that blugs in right behind the altenator and runs down into the firewall it looks like. I pulled the boot off and checked for blockage nothing, It may be the source of the noise has a rubber hose and i felt it, it was pulsating as i heard the noise i dont know if it is a vaccum line or what no idea maybe some one can help.. How can i get a labeled diagram of engine compartment?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Can you post a picture?

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I believe He is referring to the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid , located on the left side. On the other side (right) is the PCV valve.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

noise still happening it is the thing directly to the left of the throttle control if you are going to rev your truck up from under the hood.. It has a sparkplug like boot and a rubber hose that runs toward firewall. When truck idles i can feel the whole rubber hose pulsating? I do not beleive this is the pcv valve though.. when you pull to rubber boot up it is metal down there kinda looks like a spark plug head..

Then there is a plastic bigger hose that runs from air intake over to next to the part in question and down toward engine i beleive this is the pcv valve i tried to pull up plastic hose but it did not come easily and i did not want to force it and break anything... any ideas???
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Clean the evap vent valve.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

I tried searching and found the links for evap valve.. but it will not pull the page up and my computer keeps timing out.... So how do i check the evap vent valve???
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

http://forums.s-10crewcab.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6108

The images are gone, but the explanation is still pretty clear.

- ThunderII KE7CSK