Right Side Axle Output Bearing and Seal

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Right Side Axle Output Bearing and Seal

Post by roadrunner »

Anybody out there had to replace the needle bearing and seal on either side of the front differential where the axle (cv-shaft) fits? My right side needle bearing appears to be gone. Axle has too much play and seals won't hold so I think I need to replace the needle bearing there (ugh). Just wondering if it can be done without dis-assembly of the front differential namely removal of the axle tube (extension) from the assembly. I shudder to think perhaps the wandering needles are in the differential. :(
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Right Side Axle Output Bearing and Seal

Post by HenryJ »

Pulling the front axle assembly is actually pretty easy. I would not struggle to do the job with it in there.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote:Pulling the front axle assembly is actually pretty easy. I would not struggle to do the job with it in there.
I only asked to see if there was perhaps a puller such as I used to use on rear trans bushings that could be used in this case as well. I can pull that axle without pulling the spindle so was thinking if such a puller existed for that purpose it would be much simpler than pulling the front differential assy. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

Please take pics when you do this job. :thumb: It is on my "short" to do list also. The seal was replaced 4 times under warranty. :twisted: I suspect something is causing the seal to fail repeatedly. :wink:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

blaz wrote:Please take pics when you do this job. :thumb: It is on my "short" to do list also. The seal was replaced 4 times under warranty. :twisted: I suspect something is causing the seal to fail repeatedly. :wink:
That's what I first noticed on mine too. Couldn't hold a seal. :x Then I started wiggling things around and noticed excessive side-play on the inner stub of the c-v half-shaft on the right side. :shock: Since that's where my grease leak is coming from I looked in my shop manual and learned there's a needle bearing in that extension inboard of the seal location. I had hoped it was just a bushing but it says it's a needle bearing. :(