OIL FILT LINE LEAK

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

badsix
Regular
Regular

OIL FILT LINE LEAK

Post by badsix »

HI , ONE OF THE LINES GOING TO MY FRONT MOUNTED OIL FILTER IS LEAKING. I'M NOT SURE HOW TO FIX, THIS IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE YOU CAN GET THE LINES OUT AND REPLACE THEM. WOULD IT BE POSIBLE TO ELIMANATE THE FRONT MOUNT FILTER AND USE A SPIN ON ONE TO THE BLOCK LIKE THEY ALL USE TO BE. THIS IS MY SECOND S10 AND THE FIRST ONE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. THANKS
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: OIL FILT LINE LEAK

Post by HenryJ »

Take the caps lock off, please.

Ditching oil filter/cooler lines?

It looks like a short filter can be installed. I would not want to be the one who has to service that vehicle after the switch though. It would be a real task trying to change it.

New Oil Cooler Lines - Observation

I would suggest that replacement lines may be the best solution.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
badsix
Regular
Regular

Post by badsix »

sorry about the caps :oops: , can the lines be changed whthout removing a bunch of stuff. looks to me that you would have to pull the engine to get the old lines off. there all one part from the filter head to the spin-on adapter on the block. :?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Where exactly are the lines leaking @?

Steve
badsix
Regular
Regular

Post by badsix »

steve, it looks like its coming from the crimp where the hose fits the steel tube near the filter head but i need to verify this tomarrow
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

It is common for the double crimp lines to leak and a different design was put out. Search for that to find links and whatnot. Not sure if thats the location you're talking about or not.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
nolag24
Regular
Regular

Post by nolag24 »

I know this is several years later but I wanted to provide some additional thoughts on the oil line leaks.
In the last 5 years I have gone through 3 dorman lines. Yes they have a lifetime warranty and rock
auto even helped me get reimbursed for the labor. But the lines leak after 1.5 yrs, like clock work.
There is a post on s10 forum that describes cutting the crimps off and replacing the hose using oil
line and clamping the ends. It is a very good write-up with pics and very easy to do. I did it
without taking the lines off of the truck. No leaks so far, but I will be checking regularly for a while
to make sure. It can't be worse than the crimp fittings and they will be super easy to fix if they do
start leaking.
2003 ZR-5, 30x9.50 Firestone AT, 1.25" Rear spacers, 1" TB Lift, 1.5" Rear shackle lift, Bilstein shocks, posi-lok system, Raider camper, spray on bedliner, vent visors, K&N Filter w/ air box and TB mod, ACCEL ignition.