any idea how to get rid of this noise? *Solved (wheel brg)

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

any idea how to get rid of this noise? *Solved (wheel brg)

Post by paintballrocker »

ok, so i have this very loud howling noise from the front of my truck, very loud at 60 mph to the point where i blair my system n can still hear it. when i turn right it goes away. i first thot it might be my mud terrain tire tread, but the tires were never this loud before and they are wearing perfectly. any ideas what to check or replace?

thanks
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: any idea how to get rid of this noise?

Post by 04crewvt »

I would check your wheel bearings/hubs first.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

how do i go about doing that?
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Jack up truck and support frame solidly, push and pull the wheel in and out, any play and the bearings are done for, there should be no movement. If you have a dial indicator you can mount it to a table or fixed object to see the runout, also you can spin the wheels, often you will feel the roughness if they are badly worn. Mine got so loud I also could not drown out the noise with the volume knob. If it is the bearings I would suggest doing both at once and to go OEM parts. The cheap ones seem to have the ABS sensors fail rather quickly due to poor materials. At least that has been my observation YMMV depending on how much of a problem corrosion is in your area. Up here salt is killing the sensors.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Your neighbors aren't missing a cat are they :P
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Hes right pretty sure thats your bearings man. My truck did exactly the same thing turned out to be right front bearing. If the sound gets worse/goes away on hard turns then its most definatly a bearing. I would not hesitate to have these replaced...
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

replaced the front pass hub. no more noise!
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Yay! hahah. Same problem mine had. Pass side front...
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ