Force TC to shift into 4wd when in a pinch?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

dualsport
Crew
Crew

Force TC to shift into 4wd when in a pinch?

Post by dualsport »

Hey guys... I recently read about 'forcing' the TC to shift into 4wd... Apparently this is explained in the owners manual. Oh wait... I don't have one!?!? :)

I'm headed out to get a load of wood in the morning and have had a bit of an issue with my 4wd switch lately (well... since November) and wouldn't mind having this procedure in my pocket if I get in a pinch. The snow's melting pretty good on the southern exposure up here and it'll get soft in a hurry if I'm not done and headed out before about 2 pm.

Thanks!
2001 Sonoma CC, TB crank, 2" shackles, 2" BL, Helper Springs, 1.25/2.5 Spacers, 31" BFG ATs, Quadbeams, messed up 4wd switch :) miscellaneous squeaks and pings...
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Force TC to shift into 4wd when in a pinch?

Post by WileyHunter »

dualsport wrote:Hey guys... I recently read about 'forcing' the TC to shift into 4wd... Apparently this is explained in the owners manual. Oh wait... I don't have one!?!? :)
Just happened to have my O-M on my desk, looked through it, can't find that procedure. I have seen that somewhere before though (either on here or on the Regular S-10 forums).
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

The transfer case can be "force shifted" using the following procedure (automatic trans only): Engine running, truck stopped, transmission in neutral, press and release 4hi switch. While the 4hi indicator light is flashing shift the transmission into park. Wait till the 4hi light remains lit before shifting the transmission into forward or reverse gears. This same procedure may be used to go from any transfer case position to any other. It is further recommended the vehicle be taken in for service to repair the problem. Note: if there is a mechanical problem with the encoder motor this procedure may not work either. (I had a sensor failure in the encoder which caused it to skip 4hi so I only had 2hi and 4lo at the time so was unable to get 4 hi due to said sensor failure.) This is covered in my 01 manual on pages 2-30 and 2-31. It further states one possible cause for this is an out of adjustment transmission indicator switch.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
dualsport
Crew
Crew

Post by dualsport »

way cool man... thanks.

i'll give it a shot. also, i just picked up an extra comealong for the trip... we just hit 52 degrees and the snow is disappearing fast but still deep... birch wood is 35 lbs per cu ft when green so the little pickup is gonna get a good work out in the morning. :)
2001 Sonoma CC, TB crank, 2" shackles, 2" BL, Helper Springs, 1.25/2.5 Spacers, 31" BFG ATs, Quadbeams, messed up 4wd switch :) miscellaneous squeaks and pings...
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Ok, I stand corrected... It is in the '03 manual at the same location (helps when you have an idea of where to look ;) )... It just didn't jump out at me LOL.

Sorry for the oversight.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

WileyHunter wrote:Ok, I stand corrected... It is in the '03 manual at the same location (helps when you have an idea of where to look ;) )... It just didn't jump out at me LOL.

Sorry for the oversight.
Don't sweat it man. If I had not had so much and so many different problems I probably wouldn't have ever read that section of the OM either. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.