Changed plugs yesterday today making a ticking sound???

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Changed plugs yesterday today making a ticking sound???

Post by bradjh »

I attempted to change plugs yesterday got all but #3 tried swivel wobble universal everything.. Couldnt figure out how to move shaft.. Today i was driving around a bit and noticed a ticking it is coming from the drivers side right by where the plugs are when i rev up it gets faster?/ Is it because not all plugs are the same? I did not change cap rotor or wires yet... will it mess any thing up driving with 1 old plug in?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Changed plugs yesterday today making a ticking sound???

Post by HenryJ »

Are you sure you got your plugs in and tight? Are you sure the wires are on and fully seated?

You can use a length of hose like a stethoscope to narrow down exactly where the noise is coming from and give us a better idea of what it might be.

One old plug should not be a big problem. Did you try using a sparkplug socket and an open end wrench on the hex portion? If that doesn't work for you , then taking loose the steering shaft may be your only option. Mine is easy after the body lift. Just one more reason that was a good thing to do ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

i may have loosened #3 a bit.. ill check

I read through how to remove the shaft but could not figure it out and the pick would help me i am very visual but they would not pull up...

maybe you could explain it better.. can get spark plug socket on but cannot get wrench in to turn it...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I will be a sorry excuse for how to remove the shaft as I don't want or need to on mine.

It is as easy as unclipping the plastic cover and sliding it up to expose the clamp bolt on the steering box. Remove it and use a pry bar to collapse the shaft enough to get it off the splines of the steering box input shaft.

If you can get a socket on to the sparkplug, you should be able to find a wrench to fit it and turn it. I have an s shaped one that usually works. Buy a cheap wrench and modify it if you need to.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

well I got to #3 but I messed something else up I jacked the truck up and put it on stands then let it down and put a board on the jack and jacked up a pump or two on the oil pan to raise engine to get to plug put it in then i started it and didnt hear the ticking so i put everything back togather and let it down it idled real rough and the truck shakes we i rev it a bit and start to drive i must have broken a motor mount is my guess?? does that sound right?? how do i fix it?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check to make sure the right wires are on the right plugs.

If your mount is broken you will likely notice the fan hitting the shroud. That could be your ticking sound, I guess.
You are in for some less than pleasant work if you need to change the mounts.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

it no longer makes the ticking sound, I will check the wires today.. fan is not hitting when i look through drivers side wheel well i can see engine moving up and down a bit, i dont remeber seeing this before i jacked motor up to change #3
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A little movement in a rough running engine can be normal. The mounts do have some give to them.

- ThunderII KE7CSK