Fuel pump install question

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Jim

Fuel pump install question

Post by Jim »

Should the fuel line connections to the pump be lubricated with motor oil like is required on the fuel filter?
My new tank has no baffles in it, how do theses things not starve for fuel on a long decent with braking and a low tank of gas? :?:
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Fuel pump install question

Post by adrenalnjunky »

dunno if your tank is shaped the same as mine was, but I didn't notice any baffles in mine either. the pump assembly itself inserts almost in contact with the bottom of the tank, and the pump assembly itself trapped fuel in its lower portion - I'd say at least a cup or so of fuel. The pump pulls from this captured fuel in the assembly I believe in those situations.

I did not lube my pump connections - but be VERY gentle putting your lines back on - the plastic nozzles on my replacement weren't super strong, and in attempting to reconnect the line I pulled a little too hard and snapped one off. Luckily the local parts house replaced the part for me - said I wasn't the 1st one that had done the same thing. In my situation, I had already connected the lines to the pump, and was attempting to reconnect to the hardlines. On the second pump, I reversed the process.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Pump is in and works :D :D
Started at 7:30 this morning and the tank was on the ground in 1 hr.
I'm begining to think I should let some of these jobs up to the professionals.
That vent tube between the fuel and return on the pump was a bear to get off.
On the Bravada you are blind from the front, you can only see the connections from the back feeling your way. The install went OK didn't need the jack just held it up there and started the attachment bolts. Connected the wires and pushed on the lines, one didn't feel right, yes the return line went on and squeezed the clip without locking in, it was turned 90 degrees. I didn't notice it until I took some pictures of the connections to confirm they were all on correct. Mirrors don't work just have to take pictuers with a small cam. Had to give it a good yank and the line came off, then installed it correctly. After all was in and working correctly I proceded to take the old pump out of the old tank. Found the screen was nice and round and tubular, was I to attempt to reform the new screen as the old one looked, :oops: or just leave it flat? It's flat and I hope it works a long time.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

oops - didn't realize you were working on a Bravada - mine was on my Blazer. I actually didn't catch the little vent line at the front of the tank and cracked it when I was working on mine. I tried sealing it , but I still get some fuel smell @ full tank levels. A new tank down the line is probably in order.

I didn't open the tube thing up on mine either - all seems well after 6 months or so of driving on it.

More importantly - my gas gauge works again!
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

adrenalnjunky wrote:oops - didn't realize you were working on a Bravada - mine was on my Blazer. I actually didn't catch the little vent line at the front of the tank and cracked it when I was working on mine. I tried sealing it , but I still get some fuel smell @ full tank levels. A new tank down the line is probably in order.

I didn't open the tube thing up on mine either - all seems well after 6 months or so of driving on it.

More importantly - my gas gauge works again!
I would have missed the front line if I hadn't purchased another tank.
Pain in the butt job, Gauge is nice to have working, I put 5 gal in it reads 1/4 another 5 just over 1/2 Cool 8) the old sending unit had the fingers worn down it was full, then empty. I ran it until the low fuel light came on and rushed home, wasn't even a gallon in the tank when I removed it.

Best Regards, Jim