Tranny gave out today

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Tranny gave out today

Post by DLP »

The CC blew the trans today at 148,000 miles. Luckey cause I only had 3 miles to limp home. I have a spare trans with 81,000 miles ready to swap in. While I have it apart, I need to replace the rear main. Can it be done with the tranny out and not dropping the front axle? I will be saving up to have the orginal trans rebuilt for when this one dies. I live in the country but have a trans shop just across the street. Time to be a good neighbor!
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Tranny gave out today

Post by F9K9 »

I honestly don't know for sure if, it can be done without dropping the transaxle. If, I get time I will try to check it for you. Otherwise try googling for answers. Not much help and I apologize.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Thanks much for trying. I have been all over google! I have a shop manual on CD. I have tried loading it on 2 different puters with no luck. Kinda pizzes me off. I paid a good price for it and it's a regestered orginal. Anyone have a paper copy they would like to sell? I have talked to a couple techs that thought the rear main was a 1 piece seal that could be replaced without dropping the oil pan. I don't know yet. I am going to look at my spare motor and see if i can tell if it is. HJ, where are you :shrug:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I think that you are cool without removing the TC.

On a side note, try installing the first disc of the oem manual and then copying the other discs to a folder on your desktop. Then go there when it asks for the next install disc.
GM Data wrote:Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal Replacement
Tools Required

J 35621-B Rear Main Seal Installer
Removal Procedure

1. Remove the transmission assembly.
* Refer to Transmission Replacement in Automatic Transmission - 4L60-E.
* Refer to Transmission Replacement in Manual Transmission - NV 3500.
2. Remove the engine flywheel. Refer to Engine Flywheel Replacement .
# Remove the crankshaft rear oil seal from the crankshaft rear oil seal housing.
# Insert a suitable tool into the access notches and then carefully pry the crankshaft rear oil seal from the crankshaft rear oil seal housing. Discard the crankshaft rear oil seal.
# Clean off any dirt or rust in the area.
# Apply a small amount (2 to 3 drops) of clean engine oil to the bore of the crankshaft rear oil seal housing.
# Apply a small amount (2 to 3 drops) of clean engine oil to the outside diameter of the engine flywheel pilot flange.
# Apply a small amount (1 drop) of clean engine oil to the outside diameter of the flywheel locator pin.
# Apply a small amount (2 to 3 drops) of clean engine oil to the crankshaft seal surface.
# Inspect the J 35621-B flange for imperfections that may damage the crankshaft rear oil seal.
Minor imperfections may be removed with a fine grade emery cloth.
Important

DO NOT allow oil or any other lubricants to contact the seal lip surface of the crankshaft rear oil seal.
# Remove the sleeve from the crankshaft rear oil seal.
# Apply a small amount (2 to 3 drops) of clean engine oil to the outside diameter of the crankshaft rear oil seal.
# Install the crankshaft rear oil seal onto the J 35621-B .
# Install the J 35621-B onto the rear of the crankshaft and hand tighten the tool bolts until snug.
Notice

Proper alignment of the crankshaft rear oil seal is critical. Install the crankshaft rear oil seal near to flush and square to the crankshaft rear oil seal housing. Failing to do so may cause the crankshaft rear oil seal or the crankshaft rear oil seal installation tool to fail.
# Install the crankshaft rear oil seal onto the crankshaft and into the crankshaft rear oil seal housing.

1. Turn the J 35621-B wing nut clockwise until the crankshaft rear oil seal is installed near to flush and square to the crankshaft rear oil seal housing.
2. Increased resistance will be felt when the crankshaft rear oil seal has reached the bottom of the crankshaft rear oil seal housing bore. Turn the J 35621-B wing nut counterclockwise to release the J 35621-B from the crankshaft rear oil seal.

# Remove the J 35621-B from the crankshaft.
# Wipe off any excess engine oil with a clean rag.
# Install the engine flywheel. Refer to Engine Flywheel Replacement .
# Install the transmission assembly.

* Refer to Transmission Replacement in Automatic Transmission - 4L60-E.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

That is great news. Thank you very much for the info.
I will try your sugestion on installing the CDs.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

DLP wrote: HJ, where are you :shrug:
I think you are in good hands :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

After using some of the key words above, I get lots of hits explaining the process. HJ you are even in a couple of them. You're all over the net! I am looking for the rear main instalation tool J 35621-B Rear Main Seal Installer. None on ebay right now. I have found a few on the net for $125 on up. Maybe a local shop will have one for rent. I don't know if I want to chance tapping the seal in. Maybe I would chance it if it wasn't where its located. Thanks, guys. Darrell
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have some big sockets that I use as seal installers. I think you would know if you damage the seal upon installation by carefully tapping it in place. I don't think you will find it any worse than doing a wheel seal.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Well, I got the new tranny bolted up. Still have lots of misc connections, hoses, exhaust, mounts etc..to finish up. Changed out the front driveshaft u-joint and the rears while I was at it. Broke a tranny line. What a pos idea with the clip in flare fitting. Just pulling the line out by hand tore the flare off the end of the line. $15 new line took care of it.

Changed out the rear main while the tranny was out. My oil leak wasn't a bad rear main seal but a bad rear oil pan rubber gasket. I could see bubbles seeping through between the botton of the rear main cover and the top of the oil pan gasket. I pulled the gasket out and it was brittle and cracked. I used Permatex Ultra Black silicone to make a new rubber seal/gasket. I don't have much faith of it holding out in place of that big rubber one. But I would have to drop the pan to replace the seal correctly. So it was woth a try. I dried and cleaned all surfaces with alcohol before I filled the opening. I am giving it a good week to cure. Hide and watch!
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Well I got the tranny changed out. So much for buying some time with a used tranny. After the swap, I have no forward or reverse gears at all. Took it across the street to my friends at the Shift Shop. They said it looks like the pump is gone. Going with a full rebuild tomorrow. Now if I can get some of my money back from the salvage yard that sold me the pos. It's still under the 90 day warrenty.