oxygen sensor tricks hints

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

oxygen sensor tricks hints

Post by bradjh »

Any tricks on changing the oxygen sensor on before cat on passanger side cant get it with wrench or offset socket.. no room to work how did you get it out???
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: oxygen sensor tricks hints

Post by F9K9 »

I bought a sensor specific socket. I believe I pulled them all before finding the correct one with it. Soak it with PB Blaster or Seafoam Deep Creep first then try changing it with the exhaust as hot as you can stand. Throw some anti seize on it when reinstalling it.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

i have that socket but i cant get any turns on it with torsion bars and everything else in the way.. i just cant get anything in there and turn it..
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I can't remember now and it's a monsoon here. Do you have a BL?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

no lift
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I was unable to get that socket on mine either. I used a large box end wrench with the exhaust as hot as I could stand it with a long sleeved heavy sweatshirt on for protection from burns. Not fun but doable. Semi-successful on the burn part. Do not try to take the sensor out with a cold exhaust it will seize or gall up the threads.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I recentlyhad a 02 sensor go bad.... I think its the same one you all are talking about... it was the passanger side, before the pre-cat... It was a little akward... but I got it off and the other one on in little time... maybe becuase I have a body lift? I used a wrench.

I guess thats a good tip on a warmer exhaust? I waited for mine to cool down though... didnt have any issue removing or threading, other then the typical odd angle, getting the thread started problem.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

fallvitals wrote:I recentlyhad a 02 sensor go bad.... I think its the same one you all are talking about... it was the passanger side, before the pre-cat... It was a little akward... but I got it off and the other one on in little time... maybe becuase I have a body lift? I used a wrench.

I guess thats a good tip on a warmer exhaust? I waited for mine to cool down though... didnt have any issue removing or threading, other then the typical odd angle, getting the thread started problem.

Count yourself lucky on the cool down exhaust and no problems that is truly the exception and not the norm. No lift on my truck so less room to work.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.