Rear end noise, squeek *solved (brake clip)

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Rear end noise, squeek *solved (brake clip)

Post by fallvitals »

Hey boys. over about the last month I have developed a squeek, it sounds like its coming from the passanger rear tire.

Heres what happens, you drive you hear squeek squeek squeek. It gets more rapid as you go faster If you just creep it seems to do it once per tire revolution. (Thinking about it, I need to have someone slowly drive my truck and me walk beside it..)

I thought it might be the brakes dragging... but it still does it when they are applied.

I took off my wheel hub cover today thinking somebody put something in there as a joke, and discovered the metal ring from the inside of the cover, I thought ah ha! thats it! Nahhh, too easy. Still does it. If i pound the tire at rest, there is no vibrations on any thing.....

im pretty lost on this one..... im gonna go an oil change/rotate soon so i want to get some ideas for when I am "playing".
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Rear end noise, squeek squeek squeek!

Post by F9K9 »

You mentioned when the brakes were applied that it still does it. Is this the primary discs and the parking brakes?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Hmmm, I think I see what your saying....

No, no parking brake applied, just normal brakes.... Think I should take a short drive with the parking break on and see what happens?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Set and release the parking brake. That centers the shoe. See if that make a difference.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Unfortunantly, zero effect. I didn't mention it doesn't stat doing this "cold" if the vehicle has been setting overnight it doesn't start for a few minutes... Which I didn't think about that fully till today... So can't be any kind of brake issue?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jack it up and check for upward play in the bearings. You may have a bad wheel bearing? If that is the case , consider that you may also need a replacement axle.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

That sounds fun! Pysch! Lol

thanks for the input Brule and Reed
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

HenryJ wrote:Jack it up and check for upward play in the bearings. You may have a bad wheel bearing? If that is the case , consider that you may also need a replacement axle.
A BIG X2!!! Been there done that...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Are the rear brake caliper slide pins lubed? Bent dust shield? Rock stuck between dust shield? Bad wheel bearing? Bent axle? Warped rotor?

Steve
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Fixed it.

The piece of sheet metal that the brake pads set in, the portion of it that 'stradles' the rotor seemed to have bent outward and there was apperantly a high spot on the rotor. When it turned it scraped it. I bent it back some by hand, didnt know if that would work sine theres no room in that gap, but apperantly it did. Even if it starts again, atleast I know its nothing serious.

Thanks fellas.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Rear end noise, squeek *solved (brake clip)

Post by HenryJ »

Glad it was a simple fix. Replace those when you do a brake job. Some good pad sets come with them.

With all the money you saved , you can now afford both a mount and winch ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ wrote:Glad it was a simple fix. Replace those when you do a brake job. Some good pad sets come with them.

With all the money you saved , you can now afford both a mount and winch ;)
Thats a darn good idea Brule! :rah:

When the day comes that I need new brake pads I will kinda be happy. The ones on there must really suck becuase all of em squeek badly, i think they are just cheap in general. even after cleaning em, it didn't help.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Part of it is the oxidation (rust). It looks like you have to deal with a fair amount. I really am spoiled with the high desert environment in which I reside.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Hm I though it was always rainy in oregan.

My brakes screech constantly, not just after a rain. Never had my old s10 or ranger I had for 3 months do that. But as for rust yeah there's a bit on my truck. I noticed some bad on the bottom of my bed, and I'm sure that plastic bed liner isn't helping!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:Hm I though it was always rainy in oregan.
Yup. That is the other Oregon. We are the black sheep. Our votes don't count and our conditions unknown. The other half needs to visit Eastern Oregon.

- ThunderII KE7CSK