Engine temp problems again

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Engine temp problems again

Post by bradjh »

Well i was pulling a small trailer with mower this afternoon and looked down and temp gauge was over half it usually stays below 210.. today more like 220.. Why would my truck be running so hot? I had the a/c on does that make truck run hotter?

Still have to do a thermostat and flush out dex, would this have any affect?

Recently had intake gaskets replaced hoping that would be the end of truck running hotter than usual.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Engine temp problems again

Post by Jongo88 »

When you did the intake gaskets was the best time to rid the dex.
But all in all pulling a trailer in this heat 220 is not to bad for a stock cooling system.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

Grass, weeds, pine straw, and bugs tend to build up between the AC coils and the radiator. The only way to see it is to take the top half of the fan shroud off. That's the first place I look anytime I have a truck running hotter than it should.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I agree with JaVeRo. Additionally while inspecting the rad remove the front grille and light assy and give the air flow section of the rad a good blowing out and it wouldn't hurt to wash it out as well after using air on it.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Thats a good place to start. Might have to do a "cooling over haul". I did my "overhaul" yesterday, IAT relocation, Jet 180o thermostat, bigger radiator, and efans. So far in 90 degree weather and ac on. worst it has done is like 195ish. I hit 200 after setting outside my house after a long drive then starting back up but fell to normal temps withen 15 seconds of starting the engine. That was my solution, I was running 220-230 with ac on in 90+ weather though.