overheat and high temps

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

overheat and high temps

Post by bradjh »

Yesterday driving with a/c on truck got up to 235 on the scan gauge seems to get higher when i am at stop lights not driving. when i got home smelled coolant it was coming out of over flow tube dripping on ground let truck cool a bit opened radiator lid should i see coolant in rad when i take off cap???

Today it was cooler and less humid truck overheated pulling a trailer check gauge light came on temp 254 as i pulled in drive, opened hood and saw and heard steam coming out side of radiator near air box, saw a little bit of coolant there too.

my guess is i need a new rad, do you think this leak may have started out smaller causing my truck to run hotter that usual.. will a new rad, lower my temp, used to always stay below 210 now runs between 195-220..
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: overheat and high temps

Post by HenryJ »

Are you running Dex? (orange stuff) If you are flush it out now. It is shot and will do further damage now that it has been over heated. A good time to go green and don't forget the Redline Water Wetter.

Was your stock clutch fan roaring like a jet while it was this hot? It should have been. if not suspect that the thermostatic fan clutch may be defective.

Cracks developing in the side tanks could have developed before or after the over heat event. In any case you are indeed in need of a new radiator. I would suggest searching for one of the thicker cored replacements. They are still out there.

Check closely for signs of leaks at the front of the intake manifold. Under the AC compressor is a usual place. That can be signs of the gaskets failing. Leaks onto the starter at the back of the block are another usual place too. Sometimes you can see the evidence through the flap in the fender well.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

still have dex it will be gone tuesday, hopefully i dodnt mess up the engine head gasket or anything, mechanic is going to test the head and make sure everything is ok, some kind of dye they use, hopefully with new rad, green stuff flush and fill and new thermo it will run cooler. Did not hear the fan they are going to check out everything what is the redline water wetter supposed to do?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Water wetter reduces surface tension and promotes better heat transfer. Just good science.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

bradjh wrote:.........what is the redline water wetter supposed to do?
Makes the water more slippery. :mrgreen:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

how hot does the engine have to get before i would mess things up? will a new rad thermo and flush and fill with green help it run cooler? has anyone heard ot the block test with dye?