what i found today, rusty color orange

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

what i found today, rusty color orange

Post by dozer1530 »

well i went to the local auto parts store to get a new radiator cap. so i went home to switch them out and found that my radiator fluid is a rusty color orange. so i guess i need to do a radiator flush. idk if the dealer put a orange color radiator flied in so idk. i guess ill just do it any way just in case. what yall think
Attachments
100_0762.JPG
100_0761.JPG
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: what i found today

Post by HenryJ »

Tough to tell from fuzzy photos. Dex is orange but it should be clear. It needs to be changed every two years like the green stuff for our trucks. If it is opaque , changes color or has debris in it , it does need to be changed.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

ill just flush it and add the green stuff from my old truck. just to do it anny way so there is no dout
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

dozer1530 wrote:ill just flush it and add the green stuff from my old truck. just to do it anny way so there is no dout
Forgive me but your post seems rather casual and this situation requires a bit more urgency in my opinion.

If that is in fact Dexcool (and it sure looks like it is), make sure you flush it good. Mixing even a very small amount of dex with traditional green antifreeze will cause all sorts of very expensive problems. These range in severity from clogged heater core to dissolved intake gasket.

I believe there's a discussion around here somewhere that details the proper procedure for flushing every last bit of dex out of your cooling system.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

na i did a good flush on it and put dex cool back in. i got the orange stuff from here http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0059

ty for your concern tho :D . i should of posted what i ended up doing
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

dozer1530 wrote:na i did a good flush on it and put dex cool back in.
Good luck with that :lol:
Keep an eye on the intake for leaks. It might be worth doing a quick search for Dexcool on this site. You are too late to get in on the lawsuit. Filing for that ended 2008.

What year was your truck?

Some of the 2003 or 2004 trucks may have received compatible intake gaskets. That still won't solve the waterpump problems, but it is step in the right direction.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

i have the 03. im confused what did i do wrong?
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

ok so i looked around about the Dexcooll. i haven't gon nny were sense i did the flush. should i do another flush and get it all out and get the normal green stuff?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Did you read about the problems?
As long as you are aware, have a new cap, don't overheat, don't get air in the system. You may be fine.
As long as you are aware. That is the important part. Some have been fine running Dex. I did not take the chance and changed mine before it went out of warranty.

- ThunderII KE7CSK