Screeching & Srapeing front right axle *solved

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Screeching & Srapeing front right axle *solved

Post by Horsehammerr »

Driving home about 1/4 mile from house I heard a load Screeching. I slowed down from 20 to 5 and could hear it in front right side. I thought maybe a rock in the brake somewhere but, no such luck. I had the wheel off and turned the hub only to find the screech and scrape coming from at or in the differential. It's only at one point in the revolution and not tight. I tried 4 hi before I jacked it up and the noise seemed to stop at first but came back after a short drive, in or out of 4 wheel. Do I need to pull the axles and front end ? :blink: :?:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Screeching & Srapeing at inner end of front right axle.

Post by HenryJ »

Hows the oil level in the front differential?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Well after sticking every finger that will fit in the hole, I can't find any oil level. No rust or loose pieces either, but no oil level detected. :roll: I've had no leaks any where, so I guess the stuff just dried up. :lol: What oil should go in there ? :?:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Gear lube. Check your manual or the sticky for recommendations. Once you fill it up watch for a leak at the axle shaft housing. If it leaks , I would suspect that the needle bearings and seal are shot.

Not too bad to drop the whole front axle housing out. Leave the halfshafts and just drop the axle out from between.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

As I said above, there have been NO LEAKS ANYWHERE. After putting 650 ml. in the diff. , the screeching and scrapeing stopped instantly. I took a 50 mile hot lap through these hills and stayed dry at all connections. :thumb: 8)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Keep an eye on things. Gear lube does not usually evaporate ;)

It may take a while for the lubricant to migrate the path of least resistance :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Keep an eye on things. Gear lube does not usually evaporate ;)........
X2! Those fluids really need to be checked with each scheduled maintenance aka oil change.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Screeching & Srapeing front right axle *solved

Post by Horsehammerr »

I've always looked things over so much that its habit. I look deeper when a LEAK is apparent. Always believed in " no leak, no error ". I'd still like to have some clue how the gear oil got out of my front end without leaking. 3/4 of a quart is a big leak.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Anteaters in your area take a liking to gear oil? Oil hungry aliens? Crude deprived oil companies? hee hee hee Just messin with ya.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Maybe he did not have a good baseline and had never checked it. It may have been low when he bought it?

I will admit to not checking all the boxes every service. No leak no foul mentality. I do feel bad about it when I skip the check on a normal service and make a point to do it the next service. Checking all the fluid levels every 5k-10k miles is not too bad a schedule. Every oil change is better for sure though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

:bow: 8)