ABS light is on...

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

ABS light is on...

Post by 14x4 »

My ABS and break light are staying on sometimes when my truck is on. Could this be related to the programmer? I am not experiencing any problems other than the lights themselves.
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Hypertech III Problems - *solved (PCM reset)

Post by HenryJ »

Not likely since both the ABS and Brake lights are on. Check you brake fluid , wheel bearings, e-brake, etc.

My ABS light is on all the time, but it is due to a mismatched BCM.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Mine is on all the time too due to a pulled ABS fuse.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

HenryJ wrote:Not likely since both the ABS and Brake lights are on. Check you brake fluid , wheel bearings, e-brake, etc.

My ABS light is on all the time, but it is due to a mismatched BCM.
Wheel speed sensor? :?:
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

14x4 wrote:Wheel speed sensor?
Is in the front hub. Check the wire and connections first. Then pull the sensor from the front hub. They can fill up with metal when a wheel bearing is going bad. If the grease is full of metal a new hub / bearing assembly is in your future.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

HenryJ wrote:
14x4 wrote:Wheel speed sensor?
Is in the front hub. Check the wire and connections first. Then pull the sensor from the front hub. They can fill up with metal when a wheel bearing is going bad. If the grease is full of metal a new hub / bearing assembly is in your future.
If my wheel hub or bearing was bad, what would that mean? Would it make noise? Because I've been noticing a weird sound coming from the front-right wheel area. If I had to describe the sound, I'd say it sounds like a deep, muffled thud but very rapid - like something is slightly loose and bouncing around a little. I hear it when I hit bumps.

Could this be the wheel bearing or hub?
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: ABS light is on...

Post by HenryJ »

Yes

- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

I bought the hub and bearing assembly at an auto parts store. I met up with a friend of mine who knows far more about auto-mechanics than I do. I took him for a ride in my truck so he could hear the noise I described. He said it couldn't be the hub/bearing because it doesn't make a screeching sound when I turn (or any sound for that matter). His opinion was that it was a suspension problem - because I only hear the sound when I hit bumps.

Also, he said if the hub/bearing was shot, the wheel would have some play when shaken. We jacked up the front-right side and the wheel had no play - it was firm.

Is he wrong? If a bad hub and bearing would make a noticeable sound AND make my ABS and E-brake light go on, it seems like that IS the problem! He says no. :?:
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Don't just buy parts. Diagnose the problem.

Front Wheel Bearings Diagnosis

Did you check the wires and connections? Did you pull a sensor and check it for metal debris?

Your friend sounds like he knows. There are any number of things that could make those sounds. The half shaft, CV joint, Ball joint, shock, wheel lugs, a-arm mounts, caliper, etc. The ABS light may not even be related. Much like the situation with the programmer.

Do a quick search for clunk and you should find quite a few issues that have been found over the years.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Have you done any panic stops lately that engaged the ABS?

Steve
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

killian96ss wrote:Have you done any panic stops lately that engaged the ABS?

Steve
I don't really recall. Why do you ask?

What I'm trying to figure out is if the ABS and E-brake light occurrence is in any way related to the horribly annoying thud that has been coming from what seems like the front-right wheel area.
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

HenryJ wrote:Did you pull a sensor and check it for metal debris?

I tried. It's difficult to get to considering I have a limited amount of tools and space to work on my truck. I will do it as soon as I figure out arrangements.
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

14x4 wrote:
killian96ss wrote:Have you done any panic stops lately that engaged the ABS?

Steve
I don't really recall. Why do you ask?
If the ABS system was activated, it would be a good idea to flush and bleed the entire system. I have had the ABS light turn on after a good panic stop, and it would not turn off afterwards. A good fluid flush and air bleed turned the light off and the brake pedal felt normal again. The dealership can do a better job because they can hook up the scan tool and cycle the ABS while bleeding which helps remove air trapped in the ABS module. You should check the sensors first as recommended because they seem to fail more often because of corrosion of debris. There is a switch on the e-brake that may be stuck which might cause the light to stay on. When you do find the solution to your problem, make sure you post your results which will help out other members.

Steve
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

I finally had the time and money to bring my truck to the mechanic. My two problems were the ABS/BRAKE light being on, and that damned noise coming from the front right side. They diagnosed the vehicle.

Concerning the ABS light, the mechanic was at first unsure of the reason it was on. He couldn't figure it out and even called a local transmission shop - they didn't know the reason either. Apparently it's not a common problem. I told him to check the wheel speed sensors. He did say that for some reason, the sensors are not getting the exact same reading. But he said the hub and bearing assemblies are all fine. He later figured out, after using the scanning tools and whatnot, that it was giving the code C0238. The ABS light is most likely on, so he says, because of the Electronic Brake Control Module. This either has to be reprogrammed or replaced.

Concerning the noise coming from the front-right, they said my lower ball joint was bad. One of the mechanics brought me into the bay and showed me how the ball joint had unnecessary play in it when the tire was moved up and down. I had both lower ball joints replaced. I was so happy that the noise problem would be fixed. I picked up my truck later in the day, happy as can be, and still heard the noise while leaving the parking lot.

I explained to him how the noise hadn't gone away. He said my ball joint WAS bad and needed replacing anyway. They checked all of the suspension components and everything was tight. Nothing was broken or loose. I'm almost at my wits end. Maybe it's something concerning the body? Maybe it's something in the engine compartment dangling around? Is it possible that I bought a faulty shock from Bilstein? I'll have to thoroughly inspect my truck. If I can't find anything, I'll bring it back to them.
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Concerning your noise in the front. Have you lubed your T-bar sockets and inspected them as well as the member they are supported by for looseness or damage/failure? It is common for noise to migrate up/down there and sound like it is where it is not.

As regards your C0238 code. Are all your tires the same size including excessive wear? Are they all aired up the same? If they are I would look further into the sensor/sensors that are out of match with each other. This code is set when 10% or greater differential in wheel speed is sensed on one or more wheels especially front to rear comparisons. The only other likely causes for it are EBCM or PCM failure. I would be suspicious of sensors that don't read alike. JMO
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

Thanks for the info. I will go lube up my torsion bar sockets. As for an even amount of wear on the tires... maybe not. I just had my tires rotated but I should have done it a long time ago. They might have different wear. :oops:
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44